9. practically a love square

PRACTICALLY A LOVE SQUARE

November 4th, 1984
2:00 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ As the Harrington siblings and Dustin arrive at the train tracks, get suited up with their dish gloves, gasoline, and buckets of raw meat, Lucas speaks through Dustin's walkie-talkie.

"Dustin! This is Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin?"

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Dustin speaks through the microphone connected to his walkie.

"Sorry, man. My stupid sister turned it off."

"Well, when you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgan."

"Wait. What?"

"I'll explain later. Just meet me, Stephanie and Steve at the old junkyard."

"Steve? Why Steve?"

"Because, Lucas, he's the only person who knows about Dart that can drive. Also, bring your binoculars and wrist rocket."

Steve closes the car trunk. "Alright, let's go."

Dustin keeps talking to Lucas. "Just be there, stat. Over and out."

The trio start walking out onto the train tracks and throwing chunks of meat onto the ground.

Dustin is leading, Steve's walking behind Dustin and Stephanie's lingering behind the two, thinking about Dart. Thinking about more productive things she could be doing. Thinking about Max.

"Alright, so let me get this straight, you kept something you knew what probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who...who you just met?" Steve has confirmed Dustin's scenario at least four times.

"Alright, that's grossly oversimplifying things."

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?"

"An inter dimensional slug? Because it's awesome."

Stephanie hears Dustin and Steve talking about a girl and about Dart, but she doesn't fully understand what Dustin meant, so she decides to listen in on Steve and Dustin's conversation in hopes to figure out which girl Dustin likes.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I...I just...I don't know. I just feel like you're trying way too hard," Steve tries to reason with Dustin.

Wait. Does Dustin like Max? Does Max like Dustin? But I like Max. Wait, do I like Max? Max can't like me back though, anyway. She would never. Of course he likes Max! Who else would it be?

Stephanie catches up to her brother. "I know who he likes and I can assure you she did not like the slug."

Dustin stops walking and turns around. "You don't know."

"Oh, yes I do."

Dustin glares at Stephanie as he turns around and continues walking.

Stephanie tries to mouth 'Max' to Steve, but he's too dense so figure out what she's saying.

Dustin looks at the ground. "Besides, not everyone can have your perfect hair, alright?"