23. totally not batshit crazy

TOTALLY NOT BATSHIT CRAZY

June 30th, 1985
9:15 pm, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie and Max are pedaling their way through the blinding rain. Their mere bike light isn't helping to cut it's way through the water.

A bolt of lightning crashes down from the sky as Stephanie turns the corner into the driveway of a house.

Max stops her bike in front of Stephanie. "Is this it?"

Eleven led the way solely based off of the door she saw. Pretty cool.

El nods her head and they walk up the pathway to the door, which El unlocks with her powers.

Max gingerly walks through the door, removing her hood as she looks around the house.

Stephanie follows, trying to wipe the rain off of her arms with her already wet hand, obviously getting nowhere.

Max stops in front of a portrait with a perfectly posed family in it. "This is her house."

"What?" Stephanie walks to Max, finishing getting the water out of her clothes, only to go back into the rain in a few minutes.

"Heather's house," Max repeats.

Hearing this information, Stephanie walks through the doorway, towards the music playing in a different room.

Stephanie finds herself standing in the dining room during an innocent family dinner.

There were two older people, whom Stephanie assumed were Heather's parents on the two ends of the table while non other than Billy Hargrove in the middle of the pair.

Billy stands up. "Max."

Stephanie looks behind her to notice that Max and El followed her into the dining room.

"I—we didn't mean to barge in," Stephanie starts, feeling the awkwardness of the whole situation.

"...We tried to knock," Max reasons, "but..."

"Maybe you didn't hear us over the storm." Stephanie shivers from the sudden change in temperature.

"I'm sorry," the man seated at the right of the table—Heather's father—asks. "who is this dripping all over my living room right now?"

Billy laughs the most fakest, creepiest laugh Stephanie has ever heard. "I'm sorry." He gestures to each parent. "Janet, Tom, this...is my sister Maxine." Billy gets up from the table, putting on an act. "What on earth are you doing here?" He stands in front of Max, probably trying to be intimidating. "Is something wrong?"

"We just wanted to make sure everything was okay." Max avoids eye contact with Billy, and quite frankly so does Stephanie. He's scary, but right now, he seems calm. Which is somehow more worse.

Billy's smile drops. "Okay? Why wouldn't it be okay?"

"Where is she?" El gets straight to the point.

Billy turns his gaze from Max to El, giving Stephanie a stare before asking through his teeth, "I'm sorry. Where is who?"

Stephanie jumps at the voice coming from around the corner. "Well, they're a little burnt, I'm sorry—"