24. code red, code red

CODE RED, CODE RED

July 1st, 1985
8:15 am, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ Stephanie wakes up to Max's walkie-talkie whining.

Her ears are blessed with the annoying voice of none other than Lucas Sinclair. Fabulous. Just awesome. Stephanie doesn't want anything more than to be woken up too early by Lucas.

Since Stephanie was on the floor, the walkie was in close reach. Stephanie obviously didn't want to get up so she reaches her arm out as far as it can go to grab it, but to no avail.

"Max, do you copy?"

"This is a code red."

"I repeat, this is a code red."

Stephanie finally reaches the walkie and basically yells into it. "Shut. Up." She retracts the antenna and presses the button to turn of the walkie.

Stephanie realizes that she was probably too loud in the process since she saw Max turning over to Stephanie, rubbing her eyes.

"Why are you on the floor?" Max asks, barely awake.

"You don't remember? You kicked me off." Stephanie jokes, trying to stay serious.

"Really?" Max sits up and covers herself with more of the blanket.

"No." Stephanie shrugs.

Max chuckles, and then the phone from across the room rings.

"You've got to be kidding me," Stephanie scoffs, standing up and trying to untangle herself from the blankets. She walks over to the phone and picks it up. "We're sleeping. Go away." Just as she's about hang up she hears Mikes voice from the other side.

"This is Mike. Do not hang up."

Intrigued, Stephanie raises the phone back to her ear because of Mike's urgent tone, but, then again, he has used a way more urgent tone when talking about his D&D games.

"Something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake."

"What are you talking about?" Stephanie asks into the phone, half believing Mike and half calling bullshit.

"Just come over to my house. We'll explain everything."

"What?"

"Hurry."

Stephanie was about to ask what Mike was saying but before she could speak, the dial tone starts to ring.

"What did he say?" Max asks, noticing El waking up.

Stephanie stands there processing what Mike said, wondering what happened. She's never heard Mike be this urgent since last year.

Stephanie starts to explain what Mike told her to Max and El, watching their faces change as she retells each thing Mike said.

All the girls agree that they should probably at least try to look presentable, since someone else other than each other will actually see them.