12. Giant No

''Princess, let us help you.''

''Princess, please.''

''You shouldn't do this alone, Princess.''

''Let us help you.'' Rhaenyra moaned and groaned she refused to let the handmaidens help her, a gush of blood seeped to the ground beneath her feet, she pulled and pulled the head free the body coming next and it dropped to the ground as well. Rhaenyra whimpered out as she collapsed to her knees.

+

"What?" Hope spat back. 

"You know Cregan." Alicent reminded her. 

"He hates me." Hope corrected. 

"If you go-"

"It will take over a moon." Hope reminded her. 

"Not if I take you." Daeron corrected. "Tessarion can get us there is no time." 

"See, you go and talk to him. Use your history. See if he cant find it in his heart to remember the love you once shared." Alicent suggested. Hope stared back at her. "So is that a yes?"

"More like a giant no." Hope corrected. 

+

Their baby was wrapped and brought out to a small pyre for proper Targaryen funeral. Rhaenyra wept. She lost her father and her child, within the same moment. Their family gathered to pay their respects, Daemon and Rhaenyra stood close to the fire as Erryk Cargyll came walked up. Blades were sheathed and knights at the ready. Erryk was of the kings guard.

'' I mean no harm brothers,' Erryk said removing his helmet. "I swear toward the Queen, With all my strength... and give my blood for hers, I shall take no wife... hold no lands, father no children. I shall guard her secrets, obey her commands, ride at her side, and defend her name and honor." Erryk said kneeling before them. ' he pulled a crown free handing it over to Daemon. Daemon looked upon it, noting the Targaryen sigil. 'My Queen." He held out the crown. Viserys crown. Daemon had a moment, just a moment where he wanted to put the crown upon his own head but instead he placed it on Rhaenyra's.

+

"You dont know what you are asking me to do!" Hope declared once she was alone with her sister. 

"I'm asking you to fight for our family." Alicent countered. 

"Cregan hates me. He might just try to kill me on the spot when I get there." Hope remarked. 

"You still like him. I see it. You dont get this worked up over someone you dont care about." Alicent corrected. 

"I like him. So what? I broke his heart. I left him. I left him." Hope sobbed out. "I was going to marry him and instead I said goodbye."

"You never told me why." Alicent remarked gently. 

"Because you wouldnt understand." Hope offered miserably. 

"You found love. Real love, true and pure." Alicent remarked gently. "You found that with Cregan Stark. Yet you ran. I dont understand. Help me understand Hope."

"I dont want you to look at me any differently." Hope whispered. 

"You are my sister, I love you. I dont care what happened I just want to understand why you broke not only his heart but your too." 

+

''Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen, first of her name. Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men. Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and protector of the realm. Your Grace."

Rhaenyra walked down dragonstone's aisle to the throne, crown on her head. She was queen now she needed the seven realms to see that too. 

''What is our standing?'

'We have 30 knights, 100 crossbowmen, and 300 men-at-arms. Dragonstone is relatively easy to defend, but as an instrument of conquest, our army leaves a lot to be desired.''

'' I've sent word to my loyal men in the City Watch. I'll have some support there, but I cannot speak to the numbers.'' Daemon remarked.

''We already have declarations from Kelty, Gale, and Staunton, Massey, Darkland, and Barremont." Rhaenyra looked around at those loyal to her, this wasn't enough to beat the greens.

''My lady mother was in Arryn. The Vale will not turn cloak against their own kin." Rhaenyra told them hopefully.

''River Run was always a close friend to your father, Your Grace. With Prince Daemon's acquiescence...''

''I've already sent ravens to Lord Grover.'' Rhaenyra agreed

''Lord Grover is fickle and easily swayed. He will need to be convinced of the strength of our position and that we will support him should it come to war.''

''I'm going to treat with him myself.'' Daemon corrected smugly.

''What of Storm's End and Winterfell?''

''There has never lived a Stark who forgot an oath, and with how Stark the North will follow."

"The starks were engaged to the youngest hightower though."

"Was engaged. Hope the little spitfire broke the wolf's heart. I dont see him swaying to their side." Rhaenyra corrected. 

"A face and attitude like that though." Daemon murmured and Rhaenyra glared back at him. 

"Lord Boros Baratheon will need to be reminded of his father's promises." Rhaenyra reminded them and the pieces were slowly put on the map, territories that should be there if those were truly loyal. ''What news from Driftmark?''

'Lord Corlys sails for Dragonstone.' Rhaenys informed her.

'To declare for his Queen?''

''The Velaryon fleet is in my husband's yoke. He decides where they sail." Rhaenys informed them.

''We shall pray for both you and your husband's support. Just as we prayed nightly for the Sea Snakes' return to good health. There's no port on the narrow sea we dare to make an enemy of the Velaryon fleet." Rhaenyra told her kindly. ''And our enemies?'

''We have no friends among the Lannisters. Tyland has served the Hand too long to turn against him. And Otto Hightower needs the Lannister fleet." Daemon reminded her.

'Without the Lannisters, we're not like to find any allies west of the Golden Tooth." Rhaenyra hissed.

''no..." Daemon agreed

''The Riverlands are essential, Your Grace.''

''Pray forgive my bluntness, Your Grace, but talk of men is moot. Your cause owns a power... that has not been seen in this world since the days of old Valyria. Dragons!''

''The Greens have dragons. They have three adults, by my count. We have Syrax, Caraxes, and Melyes. Your sons have Vyrmax, Arrax and Tyraxes. Baela has Moondancer." Daemon reminded everyone.

''Daemon, none of our dragons have been to war." Rhaenyra reminded him stiffly.

''There are also unclaimed dragons. Seasmoke still resides on Drithmar. Vermithor and Silverwind dwell on the Dragon Mound. Still riderless. Then there are the three wild dragons, all of whom nest here." Daemon went on. He was skilled in war. In Winning, this was no different yet this was the great war. 

''And who is to ride them?" Rhaenyra hissed not liking him making the commands.

''Dragonstone has 13 to their four. I also have a score of eggs incubating in the Dragon Mound." Dameon went on.

''No.' Rhaenyra said softly.

''We need a place to gather, a toehold, large enough to house a sizable host. Here, at Harrenhal, we cut off the west," Daemon put a piece on the map. '-surround King's Landing with the dragons, and we could have every green head mounted on spikes before the fucking moon turns.''

''Your Grace, a ship has been sighted offshore.'' Daemon took off, the fun was about to begin.

"A lone galleon flying a banner of a three-headed green dragon."

''Alert the watchtowers, sight the skies." Daemon instructed. "The Hightowers have come to play."