43. I Guess We Stop Procrastinating

While House Hightower of Oldtown and House Redwyne of the Arbor stood firmly behind Aegon, Lord Owen Costayne of Three Towers, Lord Mullendore of Uplands, Lord Alan Tarly of Horn Hill, Lord Thaddeus Rowan of Goldengrove and Lord Grimm of Greyshield declared for Rhaenyra, as did the Vale of Arryn, White Harbor, Winterfell, the Blackwoods and other riverlords, who were assembling at Harrenhal.

"That is unfortunate."  Daeron remarked looking over the map.

"We just need to be patient." Otto remarked. Hope tsked. 

"Patience is not my forte and you all were already being patient while we were snowed in." Hope countered. 

"Look where patience has gotten us!" Aegon declared. "A dead son, delusional Helaena, our allies are shrinking, our territories out numbered. We are losing before we ever really begin!"

"We get Daemon." Otto recommended. "He has always been a weakness for Rhaenyra. We find Daemon's enemies, he has no shortage of enemies."

"Neither do I it seems." Aegon spat back.

"I will send word to the kingdom of the three daughters-" Otto began.

"Thats across the narrow sea." Aemond countered.

 "And if you thought winterfell on dragon back took forever that will that will take ages to get a reply and they could reject us anyways. Just like another handsome netherman." Hope grumbled.  

"We would be waiting for nothing while Rhaenyra gets stronger." Aegon agreed. 

"We can try." Otto corrected as he headed out.

"I need a moment along with Ser Criston and Hope." Aegon declared as the room slowly cleared out. Daeron stared back at Hope curiously and she offered him a small smile as he headed out too.

"Your grace?" Criston questioned.

"My grandsire is old, his patience will get us killed." Aegon remarked.

"What do you want to do?" Hope countered. "You are the king." Aegon nodded looking between them.

"I want to relieve my grandsire of his duties, I want you ser criston to be my hand." Aegon declared and Hope pursed her lips shaking her head, that didnt sound like a good idea either. 

"You honor me." Criston declared dropping to a knee.

"Lets win this before we call it an honor." Aegon mused.

"I think we should think about this, daddio is a good hand. Perhaps Criston just steps up in his duties as commander," Hope offered. 

"I need people on my council I trust which is why I want to make you commander is Cristons stead." Aegon remarked and Hope brought a hand to her heart. 

"Wow, thats sweet but really daddio knows what he's-"

"Do you reject?" Aegon pondered. 

"No, no, I'll take it." Hope assured. 

Alicent urged him against removing Otto as hand, he had served two kings for a long time, it wasnt his fault things were taking a turn for the worse. But Aegon was out of patience and ready to fight.

Criston declared that seeing Aegon's need for bloodshed things must be decided quickly. Actions had to be taken right now for the king to be satisfied.

"We will go to Duskendale." Criston remarked looking over the map. "Lord Darklyn betrayed you and shown support for Rhaenyra we need to show what happens to deserters and traitors."

"I guess we stop procrastinating." Hope remarked. "Lets head out."

+

Criston went to Duskendale while Hope and Aemond went to Harenhal. Larys was the lord of Harenhal after all and Daemon was an intruder in his holdfast. Hope slid from Vhagar and moved with purpose. Daemon's men saw them coming of course they did. Daeron, to much grumbling stayed at the capital protecting the capital with Aegon.