28. Love Makes You Stupid

Cregan was in major panic mood when hope ran into the freezing cold. He paced anxiously and Daeron knew logically that looking out the window and waiting for her to return was futile until the full moon was gone yet he still waited. Still watched. Jace smirked thinking they had really won. Wouldnt side with a temperamental woman that vanished unless that was Hopes ploy. Sympathy. Jace grit his teeth seeing Cregan so worried about his former lover.

For a man that claimed there was nothing between them no love he was sure worried about Hope.

Jace had tried to do everything right but he was failing it seemed. He got closer with Sara but she was a bastard her word against the lord of winterfell wouldnt help them win.

Frito started howling at the window and Cregan and Daeron perked up. 

"Told you." Daeron offered finally taking a deep breath since Hope left.

Hope was gone in the woods for two days before she came walking up a bit frozen but didnt say a word.

Pain makes you stronger fear makes you braver heartbreak makes you wiser. Love makes you stupid.

"Hope!" Daeron declared hugging her tight. She sighed into him. "Are you okay? Did you... did... are you okay?" Daeron whispered and she nodded softly as she pressed a kiss to his forehead. Cregan wanted to be mad but he was too worried to be mad right now. "I can get you some tea, soup, have them get a hot bath ready." Daeron offered and Hope nodded slightly and Daeron ran off. Cregan stared back at her and she wanted to speak but her teeth were chattering.  She watched him as he moved to her felt the warmth of his hands on her skin. 

Cregan fingers tangled in her hair, urgent. Demanding. Tipping her face up to his, feeling the snowflakes and frozen cold skin to the touch. 

She couldn't take the guilt, couldn't shut it out, memories of the truth. She needed Cregan to erase every twisted thought, the past they fucked them up, the past two days of trying to be brave. Needed him to stop the voices racing round in her head.

Cregan couldn't believe she was here. After two days thinking she had froze to death, every bit of anger had left him and he just wanted her back safe and sound. 

After everything that had happened. Everything she put him through, she deserved what was happening because she broke a good man's heart. 

But right now, with the sound of his breath and the feel of his hands around her, she didn't feel like a mistake. All she felt was Cregan holding her closer.

 All she felt was Cregan holding her closer

He held onto her and Daeron smiled seeing them together again, Hopes eyes closed as she held onto him, refusing to let go.  Cregans lips found her neck and he couldnt stop the words.

"You really scared me Hope."

A whisper from his lips, the roughness of his voice so gentle, he hoped his voice wouldn't break. She searched his eyes for something, she wasnt sure what besides maybe forgiveness but she saw worry and pain and maybe even a little regret. His nose brushed against hers breathing her in, she felt the heavy rise and fall of his chest as her hands slipped down his back. 

She wanted to love him again but she didnt want to hurt him again and the longer they stayed like that she knew that she was going to hurt him again. That wasn't what she wanted, she never wanted to hurt him again. She needed him safe, which was why she left a few years ago and why she left two days ago. She wanted him to break her free of those stupid memories, of her betrayal her disappointment and heart break but those memories kept him safe from her. From her hurting him again, instead he was looking at her like he loved her still and she was going to end up breaking him. She couldnt be in love with him, he deserved better, not emotions to drown her in something she didn't know how to feel... how to reciprocate safely.

"I'm fine." Hope remarked taking a step back and Daeron knew that look. That 'I'm about to blow up my happiness' look Hope was quite good at. 

"Lets get you warmed up." Daeron cut in before Hope could do or say something she would regret, to push Cregan away. Hope looked to Daeron and he nudged her along. 

So Hope left. Didn't look back and didn't apologize for leaving, for running away, stomped up the stairs with a wave of emotions flooding through her before she really even considered what she was doing. She couldn't stay there. Daeron and her couldnt stay here.

Not with Cregans touch, how strong she had felt with him so gentle against her. How weak she felt, how much she wanted to tell him everything crumble to pieces at his feet and declare that as much as he was heartbroken. He was breaking her down and building her back up and she did not want to want him. But if she was truly honest with herself, yes she did. 

She wanted to go home and forget this had ever happened. Forget the war, forget Cregan, forget the north and go home to old town and just be content with her family. 

But she also wanted to stop wishing she could just turn around, and go back. Give in. Tell him everything, every little thing. See if he understood or labeled her as a monster. But she was stronger than that. Smarter than that. That only led to trouble for herself and her family, Cregan clouded her judgment and weakened her soul. 

He was supposed to hate her and turn her away. 

He wasn't supposed to care.