13. Recognition

Would've Could've Should've / Ned Stark / Hayley Marshell out now! 

''Alert the watchtowers, sight the skies." Daemon instructed. "The Hightowers have come to play."

"I still don't like that you are here my love." Otto remarked.

"You need me. I'm your back up." Hope corrected as they approached.

''I come at the behest of the dowager Queen Alicent, mother of King Aegon, second of his name, lord and protector of the Seven Kingdoms." Otto remarked coming up to Daemon and it felt very familiar. Daemon and him had a face off many years ago when otto was to retrieve a dragon egg.  ''I've been directed to deliver her message only to Princess Rhaenyra. Where is the princess?'' But Syrax swooped around them. Otto really wasn't a fan of dragons but Hopes gaze shifted to the beautiful beast. She had been around Tessarion for years with Daeron, wanted a dragon of her own but she was more wolf than dragon. But even Hope didnt like dragon when they were not on her side. Syrax landed behind Otto's men, keeping them trapped between Daemon and dragon. Otto didn't know which was more deadly. But then he looked to his daughter, saw a golden haze in her eyes as she stared back at Daemon. 

''Princess Rhaenyra." Otto remarked as she passed by him.

''I'm Queen Rhaenyra now, and you all are traitors to the realm." Rhaenyra said calmly.

'' King Aegon Targaryen, second of his name. In his wisdom and desire for peace, he's offering terms. Acknowledge Aegon as king and swear obeisance before the Iron Throne. In exchange, his grace will confirm your possession of Dragonstone. It will pass to your true-born son, Viserys, upon your death. Jacaerys will be confirmed as the legitimate heir to Driftmark and all the lands and holdings of House Velaryon. Your sons, by Prince Daemon, will also be given places of high honor at court. Aegon the Younger as the king's squire, Viserys as his cup-bearer. Finally, the king, in his good grace, will pardon any knight or lord who conspired against his assent." Otto informed them calmly.

"I would rather feed my sons to the dragons and have them carry shields and caps for your drunken usurper cunt of a king." Daemon spat back.

''Aegon Targaryen sits the Iron Throne. He wears the Conqueror's crown, wields the Conqueror's sword, has the Conqueror's name. He was anointed by a septon of the faith before the eyes of thousands. Every symbol of legitimacy belongs to him.'' Otto corrected a slow exhale leaving his lips as he tried to keep his composure. ''And then there is Stark, Tully, Baratheon, houses that have also received and are at present considering generous terms from their king.''

''Stark, Tully, and Baratheon all swore to me when King Viserys named me his heir.'' Rhaenyra retorted.

''Stale oaths will not put you on the Iron Throne, princess. Succession changed the day your father sired a son. I only regret that you and he were the last to see the truth of it." Otto remarked, Rhaenyra glared back at him.

"Stop with the riddles and mind games we all know whats coming. My sister doesnt want this is end in more death and bloodshed, because she unlike your husband," Hope looked to Daemon, so eager for the bloodlust. "Alicent is a good person." 

''You are no more hand than Eggald was a king, fucking traitor." Rhaenyra spat standing face to face with Otto.

"I dont like her throwing names at you Daddio." Hope remarked taking a confident step forward. 

"Grand Maester." Otto said calmly and he stepped forward delivering a page to Otto.

"What the fuck is this?" Daemon seethed stepping forward. Rhaenyra stared down at the page. A memory flashed in her mind.

~

'Did you read it?' Alicent questioned as they sat under a tree a large book in her lap as Rhaenyra stared up at the sky, not paying attention. The world of politics bored her.

'Of course, I read it.' Rhaenyra answered

'When Princess Nymeria arrived in Dorne, who did she take to husband?'

'A man.' She answered bored out of her mind

'What was his name?' Alicent pushed.

'Lord Something.'

'If you answer with "Lord Something," Septa Marlow will be furious.'

'She's funny when she's furious.' Rhaenyra told her with a smirk

'You're always like this when you're worried.' Alicent remarked.

'Like what?' she asked staring up at her.

'Disagreeable.' Alicent told her. Rhaenyra stared at her, a bit annoyed 'You're worried your father is about to overshadow you with a son.'

'I only worry for my mother. I hope for my father that he gets a son. As long as I can recall, it's all he's wanted.' Rhaenyra told her honestly.

'You want him to have a son?'

'I want to fly with you on dragon back, see the great wonders across the Narrow Sea, and eat only cake.' Rhaenyra told her.

'I'm being serious.'

'I never jest about cake.' Rhaenyra assured.

'You aren't worried about your position?'

'I like this position. It's quite comfortable.' Rhaenyra mused adjusting on the ground. But Alicent got up and Rhaenyra's head which was in her friends lap dropped to the ground 'Where are you going?'

'Home. The hour has grown late.' Alicent told her stubbornly.

'Princess Nymeria led her Rhoynar across the Narrow Sea on 10,000 ships to flee their Valyrian pursuers.' Rhaenyra said getting up. Alicent looked at her baffled. 'She took Lord Mors Martell of Dorne to husband and burned her own fleet off Sunspear to show her people that they were finished running.' Rhaenyra took the page tearing it out of the book

'What are you doing?' Alicent questioned as Rhaenyra handed it to her.

'So you remember.'

'If-if the Septa sees this book, then...' Alicent said nervously as she looked at the torn page in her hand

'Fuck the Septa.'

'Rhaenyra!'

~

Rhaenyra couldn't believe she had kept it all this time.

"Ali is sentimental like that." Hope agreed staring back at the look of recognition on Rhaenyra's face, the pain of remembering what once was between them. 

''Queen Alicent has not forgotten the love you once had for each other. No blood need be spilled. The realm can carry on in peace.... Queen Alicent eagerly awaits your answer" Otto told her gently.

" She can have her answer now, stuffed in her father's mouth along with his withered cock." Daemon spat.   ''Let's end this now... Ser Erryk, bring me Lord Hightower's head so I may take the pleasure myself." Swords were drawn and Syrax moved down ready to strike. Hope smirked back at him. 

"I dont think so." Hope corrected. Feeling claws and teeth pulling with her adrenaline flowing, prepared to protect her family. 

"No." Rhaenyra said calmly.  ''King's Landing will have my answer on them on the morning.''

"I knew we shouldnt have come." Hope remarked as Daemon and his possy turned to leave.

"Why is that?" otto countered.

"Because this was stupid." Hope answered honestly.