40. Old, New, Borrowed, Blue

"Because no matter how hard dealing with everything around me is, being with you is easy." Hope remarked. "Its normal and fun and... Talking to you is easy. Laughing with you is easy... I miss this. I miss us." Hope admitted "and I'm sorry I didnt give you the answers that you wanted but know that leaving you then... and now... it kills me. Because as soon as I turn away I miss you already."

"You left. Not me." Cregan reminded her.

"I know. I know." She whipsered. Before meeting his gaze and taking a deep steadying breath. "When I was a little girl I wanted a white dress and a veil. Wearing a string of pearls like I saw my own mother wear. There is an old tradition across the narrow sea that I liked. It was having something borrowed and blue.... Something old, something new." she remarked softly. "But that all changed when I met you," he smiled softly back at her. "I'd promise you forever right here, right now with a twig woven ring and a little blue dress."

"Its a nice dress." Cregan agreed softly.

"I don't need a sept and everyone gathered to see how much I love you. Because it just feels right.  Raise a whiskey glass, and I wouldn't think twice if we had our first dance to the crickets chriping and the wolves howling." Hope went on and she meant it. It wasnt a ruse to get Cregan to side with them. It was the truth.

"People say that love, it makes you do crazy things and leaving to protect you although it seemed crazy and stupid and riped my own heart out too it was because I love you." Hope declared.

"But when it comes to you and me, well, that's all I really need..." cregan assured. "But Hope. Couldnt you just tell me whats clearly burdening you."

"I dont want to scare you." Hope corrected. "And I will if you know what im capable of."

"So when you leave its goodbye?" Cregan pondered. Hope didnt want to answer that. She didnt want it to be but she ran off into the woods for the full fucking moon because she didnt trust herself to be in control around him.

Cregan huffed a breath turning away from her. Cregan thought Hope had to know that telling him the truth would all but ensure his support in this war and yet she was tight lipped even now. Even as the snow was melting the doors open. The dragons hopefully would be returning. Cregan had his letter written. Informing both sides of the norths decision.

"Hope." It was a plea from his lips to her ears.

"It doesnt change anything. Knowing the truth doesnt change how I feel or that this past week has been the best and yet most confusing of my life since the last time I was here." Hope declred.

"But you expect me to trust you to side with you and you wont trust me with the one thing I have been dying to know." Cregan countered.

Somewhere in the great stone maze of Winterfell, a wolf howled. The sound hung over the castle like a flag of mourning for the storm was finally gone and the dragons had returned. They were heading off and Hope still thought she might have failed Alicent.