Chapter 10: Up the Stairs

When Jai found out my five story apartment didn't have an elevator his pissy attitude returned. It only got worse from there when I told him I lived on the fourth floor. I don't know why he's getting his knickers in a knot.

"Look, it's not like you're obligated to help. You've already done more than enough," I explained to him as we stood at the bottom of the stairs.

"You expect me to just walk away knowing you're about to try to hop your way up four flights of stairs with crutches and a bag?"

"Evie, what the hell happened to you?" A voice cut in.

I turned around to see the guy who lived below me.

"Hey, Eric. I just sprained my ankle at work. It's no big deal."

"No big deal? Do you want a piggy back ride up?"

"She's fine," Jai spoke for me.

"Actually, Eric, if you don't mind that would be awesome. Jai, you can head home."

"I'm not leaving until I know your ass is on a couch with your ankle iced," Jai said crossing his arms defiantly.

"Listen, man, she said you could go. Why don't you back off," Eric stepped toward me.

"Speak to me like that again and I-"

"You know what, Jai, why don't you pick me up." I quickly cut him off before he could threaten Eric.

Jai's eyes moved to me and I saw him take a deep breath. He stepped forward and was about to pick me up princess style once again.

"Woah there big hoss, four flights of stairs is a long time to carry someone like that," I cut in.

"What do you want me to do? Throw you over my shoulder?"

"Y'know, I've actually always wondered what it would be like to be carried that way," I said with a smirk.

"Why don't I just piggy back you, Evie," Eric butted in once again.

"You heard the girl," Jai said as he bent down and threw me over one shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

A squeal escaped my mouth as the world suddenly went upside down. Jai squatted down to grab the bag and crutches I had dropped with one arm. The other arm was over the back of my knees to keep me from falling over.

"Oh god, they don't mention how much a shoulder digs into your stomach," I wheezed out.

Jai instantly stopped halfway up the first flight of stairs. "Want to switch positions?"

"Hell no, I'm committed to the experience now."

"Let me at least help with her stuff," Eric said while extending a hand.

Jai continued to walk without acknowledging him. Before I even thought over my actions I reached down and smacked Jai's ass.

"This is the part where you hand over the stuff and say thank you," I scolded Jai.

"Jesus, Star," Jai groaned.

I didn't miss him handing my crutches and bag over anyway. I cackled in victory. Being upside down and with my stomach being pressed on, it came out sounding ridiculous. Ridiculous enough that both Jai and Eric laughed along with me.

By the time we made it in front of my apartment door I could feel all the blood that rushed to my head. When Jai set me back down I wobbled on my feet and announced "head rush". Eric looked at me concerned but Jai only chuckled.

"You're ridiculous," he said as he took my bag from Eric and held it out for me to grab my keys.

I opened up the door and looked at the two guys who were both still standing there.

"Thanks, Eric, I really appreciate the help," I took my crutches back from him.

I turned to Jai, "Thank you, again. It was so ni-"

"Did you not hear me say I won't be leaving until your ass is on the couch with ice?"

I scoffed, "You think I'm the ridiculous one?"

Regardless, I opened the door wider so he could step in.

"Evie, do you want me to stick around," Eric asked looking at Jai nervously.

"No, no I'm good. He's harmless, but thank you."

Eric looked ready to argue but eventually he nodded and headed off down the stairs. I hobbled into my apartment before closing and locking the door.

"He has the hots for you," Jai said as soon as I turned around.

"Eric? He doesn't know me enough to have the hots for anything but my body. Which, I'm not interested in."

"Hmm, that so?"

"Yeah, believe it or not strippers can be too emotional to like casual flings," I said teasingly.

"You learn something new every day don't you, Evie?"

"Evelyn, I actually despise that nickname. I just don't have the heart to tell him."

Jai chuckled, "okay, Evelyn. Nice to officially meet you once again."

Jai began to look around the apartment. Not that there was much to look at seeing how it was a studio and tiny. I was not loving the judgmental look his face started wearing.

"The last place I worked at wasn't as nice as yours. I signed a lease with what I could afford," I said defensively.

"I didn't say anything bad about your place," Jai sounded confused.

"Yeah, well, your face did."

"My face? You're ridiculous," I didn't take his words as an insult seeing as how he said them with a grin.

Jai made his way to my kitchen corner and began to rustle through the freezer. I hobbled over to the ratty second hand couch I bought and plopped down. Soon Jai was there with ice wrapped up in a wash cloth.

"You don't have to go this far you know. I'm not planning on filing a complaint with the police or anything."

"That's not why I'm helping you. If you want to you can. The little shit would deserve it," Jai sounded angry with the last sentence he spoke.

"Even if I did there's no way anything would come of it," I replied with a shrug.

"What do you mean?"

"The police probably wouldn't care all that much about a stripper being mistreated in the first place. Especially since my back and my ankle were injuries I caused with my clumsiness. Now add to it the fingers you have in their pockets........" I shrugged again.