Chapter 16: Handprint

I scurried as quietly as possible over to my safe I keep in the corner of the room. Next to the bed. The bed that Jai was still currently laying on.

I opened the safe and had the cash in hand when his gravelly morning voice spoke, "Who's at the door?"

"It's no one. Just go back to bed," I whispered with a hoarse voice.

Jai let out a grunt before rolling over and doing just that. I made my way back to the hallway and the waiting Sam.

"I see, you're being all obstinate because you've got company, huh?" He smirked at me. "Should I go say hi?"

"You have the money now, Sam. Please just go."

"Alright, alright. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Just don't forget it'll be an extra five hundred a month from here on out, yeah? I don't want to have to give you another reminder next time," he brushed a hand over my sore neck as he spoke.

If I opened my mouth right now curses would spew out. So I kept it closed. With a lot of effort. I had to literally bite my tongue to refrain. Thankfully, Sam seemed to realize I wasn't going to banter because he turned around and left without another word.

I backed up until my back hit the wall and then I slid down it. What am I going to do? Even if I work every possible night at my old strip club for the next six weeks I might not be able to pay Sam without losing my apartment. I can always stay at a homeless shelter for a couple of weeks, right? Once I'm back to work at the Magnolia club I'll make plenty extra. I just have to hold on for six weeks. I can do it. It's okay. It'll be okay.

I sucked in a few deep breaths, which unfortunately hurt. I wiped my wet cheeks, which had been leaking while I was thinking. Then, I pushed myself up to my feet and slipped back into my apartment. There's nothing to be done right at this second so I should at least try to get some sleep.

When I slid back into the bed facing the wall Jai's enormous body instantly rolled over and wrapped around me. God, he was so warm. It felt so safe like this. Why did he of all people have to be so easy to be around?

*     *     *     *     *

I was not able to fall back asleep. Instead I laid in bed staring at the wall thinking far too much. This was a bit of a reality check. With how sweet Jai has been to me I've ignored who he was. If he finds out the amount of debt I owe him he's going to be pissed.

Yup, that's right. Sam is in the gladiolus gang. The money I owe is technically Jai's. I don't know why the hell I thought my creature comfort was more important than my safety last night. I'm such a fucking idiot. I really need to stop being such an impulsive shit head.

My nine a.m. alarm shocked me out of my thoughts. I'll make Jai breakfast, rush him out of here, and then never speak to him again. Easy peasy. I'll start calling around to the shelters in the area to see where I can end up next month, then I'll take my ass to my old strip club tonight and demand my job back.

I could always accept Sam's offer. Sex with him was worth a quarter of the payment. The first time we met he made sure I knew about it. It's not like he's completely unattractive. Sure, he's always greasy and smelly but he's got a decent figure and nice blonde hair. Or half of his head has nice blonde hair. Yeah, I don't think I'm desperate enough to go there yet.

I disentangled from a groaning Jai and limped into the kitchen. One advantage of my tiny apartment was that I barely had to walk around to prepare the eggs, bacon, and coffee. I tied my hair into a messy bun and did just that.

"It smells delicious," Jai's muffled voice came from the bed.

"Then come get it before it gets cold lazy bones," I teased.

"Waking up to a beautiful woman cooking me breakfast might be worth the shitty shower," Jai said as he wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"How dare you insult my shower. I'll have you know it tried it's best," I said in mock outrage as I leaned back into him.

"Mmm, I'm sure," Jai placed a casual kiss on my temple.

My heart was fluttering. This was not a part of the plan. I'm supposed to be acting cold and scaring him away. He's just so fucking cute in the morning with those tired eyes and grumbly voice.

"What's that?"

"Huh, what's what?" I questioned him.

Jai's finger brushed over the side of my neck. Shit, Sam must have squeezed hard enough to leave a mark.

"A hickey," came out of my mouth before it went through my brain.

Jai's body stiffened, "A hickey? It wasn't there last night."

"I had a guest this morning, remember."

"So what, you went out into the hall for a quick suck and fuck session while I slept?"

"Yup," thank god my voice was even.

"Are you serious?"

"Yup, do you like your bacon crispy or chewy? If you say chewy I might have to kick you out." You can do it Evelyn just act natural.

Jai stepped away from me. There was a tension in the air that you could cut through with a knife. I pretended I didn't notice it as I finished up the cooking and plated everything.

"I have milk and water. Do you want something other than coffee to drink?" I'm nailing this.

Jai didn't answer so I grabbed our plates and limped my way over to my rickety old table. Halfway there he casually took them from my hands and brought them over for me. Why was he so nice even when he was mad? The silence continued to hang in the air as we both sat and began to eat. Jai was avoiding looking at me. This might be perfect. If he's upset over this I can just leave it be and let him distance himself.

Why does that thought have my gut twisting? I'm just touch and attention starved. That must be it.
It's not like I even know him. This is only the second time we've ever interacted after all. It'll be easy to cut my losses.

"Is that a fucking handprint?"

Shit.