Chapter 46: Girlfriend

I'm going a little stir crazy. Jai's been fast asleep for five hours now. I'm impressed he's been able to stay that comfy on the tiny couch. I couldn't even stretch out all the way on it. I've moved a chair close to an outlet so I could play word games on my phone to keep myself entertained.

I shot Kairi and Elle a text to our group chat that I wouldn't be at work tonight. They asked if everything was okay and I said it was a long story but everything's fine. Thankfully they accepted that without any more questions. I think Jai wants to keep this situation hush hush. If the snakes found out two thirds of the J brothers were incapacitated they'd try to pull something.

"Hey, how's it going princess?" A voice whispered from the doorway.

I just about shat my pants in surprise. "Shit, Frank. You move way too quietly."

That got a smile from him. "You need anything?"

"Nah, I'm good. Thank you though," I whispered back.

Frank gave a little nod before he disappeared back down the hallways. I noticed about every fifteen minutes someone hovered in front of the doorway for a couple seconds. For a few hours I made a game of trying to spot their flowery sword tattoo. Some people had them visible, some people didn't.

My focus was back on my word games until I heard rustling. I glanced up to see Jax starting to move. I jumped from the chair to click the nurses button. Next I beelined it to the little couch.

"Jai, wake up," I said while giving his shoulder a little shake.

"Hmm? What's going on?" He muttered.

"Jax is waking up," I explained.

That got Jai moving. He instantly shot up from the couch and over to his brothers bed side.

"Jax? Hey buddy, can you hear me?" Jai asked while taking his brothers hand in his.

A groan left Jax's mouth in answer. I sank down on the couch feeling relief I was not expecting.

"Jai? Why does everything hurt?" Jax spoke with a scratchy throat.

At that moment a nurse came in. He quickly fluttered about the room taking vitals and asking Jax how he was feeling. After he was satisfied he left saying the doctor would be in to check on things in a little bit. At some point during the vital taking Jax had spotted me. He's been glaring at me since.

"Why is she here," Jax asked his brother.

"Aw come on. Not you, too," Jai tried to joke.

"I want her out," Jax said simply.

Jai blinked in surprise, "She's been amazing through all of this and she's helped a lot."

"I don't give a shit. This is her fault and I want her out, now!" Jax's voice raised with every word.

Ouch.

"Jax," Jai scolded.

"It's okay," I cut in. "I should probably head out to work anyway."

"You're going to work? You've barely slept," Jai pointed out.

I walked over and gave Jai's hand a quick squeeze, "I'm okay."

When I went to pull away Jai yanked me in for a hug. He placed a gentle kiss on the top of my head.

"Call me when you make it home after, okay?"

"I will," I agreed before turning to Jax. "I hope you feel better soon."

"I hope you fuck off," Jax snapped back.

Double ouch. I grabbed my stuff and got out of the room as fast as I could. In the process I nearly knocked over Frank who was standing right outside the doorway.

"Shit, sorry," I grumbled out.

"No sweat. Jax is young and confused. Don't take it to heart, okay?"

I felt tears fighting to fall at Franks words. I gave him a little nod before heading for the hospital entrance. I didn't think Jax's scorn would hurt so bad. It was a little after eight in the evening now so I have just enough time to run home for a shower and head to work.

*     *     *     *     *

I walked into the Magnolia club through the back door. I was running a little late so there was already a bustle of activity. I spotted Elle sitting in her chair getting ready. Kairi wasn't around at the moment.

"Well, don't you look perky," I teased Elle as I walked up behind her.

She instantly flushed crimson red.

"Oh shush," Elle scolded.

"I take it things are going well?" I asked

She gave me an enthusiastic nod. "It's amazing, Star. I've never felt so at ease around someone I was dating."

"You do have a little sparkle in your eye," I pointed out.

"Oh hush, go get ready. You're going to be la- wait, weren't you calling out tonight?"

"It's a long story. I'll tell you and Kairi another time at the same time," I promised.

"I'll hold you to it," Elle said before pushing me away.

She happened to almost push me into Kairi who was walking towards us.

"Sup, my dude," I greeted.

"Hey, Star, what are you doing here?" Kairi asked.

"It's a long story that I'll be explaining to you two another time," I promised her, too.

"Alright, you best hurry. Dave's gonna be pissed if you're not ready in time."

"I know, Dave's got it out for me," I said with a grimace.

I was walking around Kairi to get to my mirror when she grabbed onto my wrist. Before I could react she yanked me into a hug.

"Thank you," she whispered.

I couldn't help but smile while I squeezed her back. "Anytime, you two deserve the best."

"Hey, hey now. Hands off my girlfriend," Elle protested with a huge smile.

"You just wanted an excuse to say girlfriend, didn't you?" I teased.

".....maybe," Elle admitted, smile widening even more.

"Hmm, it does sound good coming from your lips," Kairi replied in a sultry tone.

Elle's face that had finally paled flamed red again. God, they're going to be annoyingly adorable. I can't wait.