Chapter 17: Give Me a Name

"A handprint? What are you talking about?" I innocently questioned Jai.

Suddenly he was up, around the table, and kneeling before me. He firmly gripped my chin with his thumb and index finger before moving my head side to side.

"Do you think I'm fucking stupid? I know what it looks like when someone's been choked," Jai's voice took on a dark tone.

"So I'm a little kinky, sue me."

"This isn't kinky, Evelyn. This is attempted murder. It looks like he was almost rough enough to crush your windpipe."

"It got a little intense. It happens."

"Look me in the eye, Evelyn. What happened this morning?" Jai's eyes had a murderous glint to them.

"Please just drop it, it's not a big deal," I am seconds away from begging.

"You're going to tell me, and you're going to tell me now. It's either that or I call my people and we dig until we figure out what's going on."

"Jai, please. Please just leave it be. I'm fine."

"You're not. You have thirty seconds to start talking or I leave and figure it out myself."

Shit, fuck. Fuck, shit. Would it be worse for him to figure it out himself or hear it from me? Maybe I can just be vague.

"I owe some people some money. I thought we were squared away for the month but they came back. Interest rates went up, you know? It's no big deal, I just got mouthy is all."

"You nearly had your throat crushed for being mouthy? It's the fucking snakes isn't it? They shouldn't be setting foot on my turf whether it's to collect on a payment or not. Give me a name and I'll make them fucking regret it," Jai's tone was dark and dangerous but the hands he had resting on my thigh were rubbing soothing circles.

How am I both scared and relaxed right now?

"Jai, please just drop it."

"I won't. I want a name, Evelyn."

"Jai it's no-"

"A name," he cut me off.

"It's.....well.... It's just that, it's not the snakes," I tried to explain as I avoided his eyes.

Suddenly Jai's face seemed to clear in understanding.

"It's one of mine," his voice was quiet.

"Let's just pretend this conversation never happened, okay? You're my bosses boss and I'm a stripper at your club. That's it, nothing more. I'll make sure I pay off all the debt I owe and we can just give a vague wave in passing when we bump into each other."

Jai stared at me like I had three heads. He opened his mouth to answer when a knock sounded on the door. Every inch of my body tensed. Jai was on his feet and moving to the door before I could blink. He yanked the door open and then...froze.

"Oh, um hello sir," I heard Elle's voice say from the hall.

Jai didn't respond but he stepped to the side and opened the door wider. I watched as Kairi and Elle nervously made their way into my apartment and searched for me. When Kairi's eyes found mine she grabbed Elle's hand and tugged her over to me.

"Hey guys, I didn't expect you," I said awkwardly as Jai closed the door and stood by it while watching us.

"We've been texting you all morning," Elle told me quietly.

"Shit, right. My phones still in my bed. I've been.....distracted."

My eyes automatically drifted to Jai. He was staring back at me with an emotionless expression plastered on.

"We just came to check on you and see if -" Kairi's sentence stopped midway through as her eyes widened.

She was staring at my neck. Before I could say anything all hell broke lose. Kairi dove for my kitchen counter and grabbed a knife from it. I tried to yell her name but before I could she lunged for Jai. She was so short her head only came up to the middle of his chest. That didn't stop her from rugby tackling him to the ground and lifting the knife above her head while straddling him.

"I'm going to fucking kill you," she screeched.

Jai seemed to snap out of whatever shock he had been in. He grabbed Kairi's wrist that was holding the knife and flipped them over so he was on top of her. Pretty quickly he had her wrists pinned but she was screaming and bucking her hips. Somehow that tiny little thing managed to plant her feet and use her hips to throw him off her.

"Kairi, stop!" I screamed as I finally snapped into action and limped to them as fast as I could.

I jumped on top of Kairi and reached for the knife she was still trying to stab into Jai's face.

"Kairi, listen to me! Kairi, let it go!"

I knew the look in her eyes. I had seen it in my own face multiple times. She was here, but she wasn't here.

"Kairi, you're in my apartment. You're safe. I'm safe. It's okay, it's okay."

Jai and I managed to wrestle the knife from her vice like grip and throw it across the room. Jai moved to grab her and hold her down.

"No! Just back up, give her space," I commanded.

Thankfully, Jai listened. The second he stepped away Kairi stopped thrashing. Instead she sat up and began sucking in air. I could see the panic in her eyes as she began to hyperventilate.

"Elle, get me a cold glass of water," I demanded over my shoulder.

Elle stood in the middle of the kitchen like a deer in headlights. Her eyes wide and horror on her face.

"Elle, please," I softened my tone.

Slowly her gaze moved to me and she gave me a gentle nod. I made sure not to touch Kairi even though she was currently clawing at her chest. Elle brought me over the water and I splashed it in Kairi's face. She gasped, which happened to give her just enough pause to suck in a deep breath.

Slowly the hyperventilating stopped and her body relaxed.