Songbird

Norammy requested by @TheFaithfulOne
I had fun writing this one.

    Mythical creatures were called mythical for a reason right? It sometimes meant imaginary or make believe. That's because as far as humans knew, mythical beings did not exist. Well, you wouldn't really know if they did or not, or if someone knew or not. Because Norman didn't tell anybody about what happened to him during an incredibly stormy Saturday evening. They'd just call him crazy.
    Norman had just gotten home from work, and dark clouds had begun rolling over the sky. It looked like it was going to be quite a large storm. The wind outside blew at the trees to the point they looked like they might snap, and thick raindrops began falling from the sky. Norman sat at the dining room table, which was close to the door that led to his backyard. He hoped no trees would fall like last storm. He'd had an angry neighbour blame him for the fallen tree that ruined the fence in between their yard. Norman had fixed it just so he could stop hearing the next door old man's frustrated chattering.
    Norman was currently going over some paperwork, listening to the small noises as raindrops hit the windows. Thud. Thud. Thud. THUD! Norman whipped around as he heard something much larger than a raindrop smack into the window. It sounded as if it came from the window beside the door that led to his backyard. He got up and jogged to the door, hoping whatever it was didn't brake part of his house. He opened the door, poking his head out and using a hand to shield his eyes from the heavy rain. There was a person lying beneath the window.
    With a closer look, Norman saw he wasn't exactly a person. He had wings, strange tattered clothes, bird feet, and clawed hands. With a start, Norman realized that a harpy had just flown into his window. He debated whether or not if he should bring it inside. On one hand, the poor thing was completely unconscious and out in a storm, not exactly safe. On the other, he had no clue if it would try and murder him or not. Norman's pity outweighed his fear, and he scooped the small harpy into his arms and carried him inside. He lay the creature gently onto his couch, hoping the water droplets on it's feathers wouldn't stain the cushions.
Norman paced back and forth in front of the couch, continuously glancing at the harpy while anxiously wondering when it would wake up. After about ten minutes, the creature stirred, slowly sitting up and opening it's blue eyes. He looked down at the couch, then at the floor, before spotting Norman and freezing. His eyes were wide, and his wings rose slightly in a protective manner. Norman took a breath and slowly gave the harpy a small wave. The bird-man tilted his head in confusion. "Uh...do you know how to talk?" The human asked, awkwardly lacing his hands behind his back.
The harpy gave a cautious nod, but didn't say anything. "Okay, that's good...I uh-you flew into the window so I thought I'd bring you out of the storm to make sure you were safe, I-I hope you don't mind." Norman explained quickly, taking a step back as the cold blue eyes bored into him. "I just didn't want to leave you outside and unconscious is all. Um-I need to go work on something, you are free to stay here until the storm's over if you want." Norman was backing up as he spoke, and when he finished he turned and left into the dining room where his paperwork sat.
He didn't think the harpy appeared aggressive, more confused maybe. Despite all that happened in the past fifteen minutes, he still needed to finish his paperwork. It needed to be done before tomorrow, and Norman was not about to be fired just because he got distracted by a bird-man. A few minutes passed of him struggling to focus on his work, when he felt something on his shoulder and he turned to see a clawed hand. He yelped in surprise and stood up from his chair, the harpy flinching back as well. "O-Oh, it's you. You scared me, sorry." Norman held a hand to his chest, his heart thumping so hard he was sure it might explode.
The harpy was silent for a moment, glancing from Norman to the papers, seemingly contemplating something in his mind. "What are you doing?" He asked, settling on the idea that the human was in fact not a threat. Norman was shocked that he spoke, but brushed it off and focused on the question.
"Some paperwork. I don't expect you know what that is." Norman said, calming down and settling back into his chair. The harpy used his large wings to flap onto the table, landing with a heavy thud where he crouched in front of Norman's paperwork. He gazed curiously down at the paper, looking in confusion at the words and numbers.
"What is 'paper-work'?" He asked, poking the paper.
"It's complicated, and to be honest, really boring. So uh...just to be clear, you don't want to kill me?" Norman asked, putting his hands up defensively and giving an odd look to the harpy.
"Why would I do that? You're the one who kidnapped me, why are you worried?" The bird-man pointed out, his wings flattening against his back.
"Good point."
"Do humans have names?"
"Huh?"
"Y'know, something everyone calls you so they don't confuse you with other people? My name is Sammy." The harpy explained. He seemed to be growing quickly more comfortable around the human.
    "Oh, uh-Norman. And I didn't kidnap you, I was just worried since you were unconscious that the storm or something else might try to hurt you." Norman said, crossing his arms and looking up into the blue eyes of the bird-man that was crouched upon his table. Sammy's suspicious glare turned into a warm smile.
    "That's very sweet of you. My kind always thought humans would want to kill us and do experiments or whatever." Sammy said. He let his short bird legs dangle off the side of the table.
    "Oh, most of them probably do. I don't though. That would just be an awful thing to do. But don't worry about that, you should be pretty safe here. I don't really socialize with anyone, so I won't get any visitors." Norman smiled back at him, then turned his head down to try and refocus on his work. Sammy suddenly gasped loudly and grabbed Norman's face, forcing the human to look into his eyes.
    "You don't have friends? No family? Where I come from, everyone is always welcome into groups so nobody ever gets lonely! Why do the other humans not include you?" Sammy demanded. Norman only half-heard everything the harpy said, too focused on the fact that Sammy's face was very close to his own. Blushing, Norman cleared his throat and pulled the harpy's hands off of his face.
    "No, I just...never really went and made any friends. I was always fine being by myself, for the most part." He awkwardly tried to explain. He couldn't help but find that Sammy was incredibly cute, which was not helpful for him at the moment. He needed to get his work done. Sammy gave him a sad and imploring look, which only distracted him from his work further.
    "That's so sad! Nobody should be left all alone every day with nobody to help them out. I mean- some people do deserve it, but you seem very kind." Sammy said.
    "Sorry if this sounds a bit rude but I'm not a harpy like you, humans normally seek out the affection of others, sure. But some don't mind being left alone." Norman was nervously fiddling with his pencil, and it dropped onto the table. Sammy had much quicker reflexes than the human, so he went to pick it up. Norman did too, but accidentally grabbed the harpy's hand instead. The two stared at each other for a few silent moments before Norman pulled his hand away, feeling his face flush.
    "So, you never get lonely at all? I somehow find that difficult to believe." Sammy smiled softly as he saw the others face go red.
    "Don't get me wrong, I love having time alone, but I guess...yeah it kinda is lonely here." Norman wasn't sure exactly what was going on. Many strange things had happened in the past hour or so, and it made him feel odd. Yes, odd...but also nice? He was quickly growing quite attached to Sammy, even though they had just met.
    "Then why not make a friend? What if...I could be your friend if you wanted. I mean, you did take me out of the storm even though you were worried I'd kill you, I think that means I can trust you enough." Sammy jumped down from the table and stood beside Norman's chair. He leaned against the human, hands on his shoulder and smiling widely at him. Norman couldn't keep in the small laugh that escaped his lips even if he tried. Sammy was just too cute.
    "Alright, songbird, if you insist." Norman smiled back, patting Sammy on the head. Sammy made a happy chirp sound, similar to a bluejay. Some might think it weird, a man and a harpy happily living together for year after year since that fateful stormy day, but Norman and Sammy loved each other too much to ever care if it was weird. So Norman was Sammy's human, and Sammy was Norman's songbird.

Okay I just gotta say something to help me process it actually happened- I have this friend, he's over six feet tall and the fucking kindest man I have ever met and I've had the biggest crush on him for over half a year. Both of my best friends are over six foot actually- and I'm just this fucking 5'3 Roomba gremlin that follows them around- but the guy asked me out yesterday and he was being so shy and cute and my brain stopped function and I just adjuhstghasutgyuabdmwqp I'm so gay-