Chapter 22

Thursday, August 31st

Riley's POV

They don't tell you how genuinely hard it is in college, because you literally lose all your willpower to go to classes or do homework. You're finally on your own, you don't have parents reminding you to study, you don't have the pressure of being a truant, it's impossible to stay focused in long lectures... plus... like... college gives a ton more homework than high school.

I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least.

I knew it was getting bad because I was letting it start to affect my sleep schedule even. My normal eight hour a night routine was slowly forming into six hours if I can manage it... or a nap in the middle of the library on Wednesday night.

Niall asked me to go car shopping with him this week, he said he needed to upgrade what he had and wanted something new. I unfortunately turned him down, even though it sounded like a fun time.

After hanging with Melody I limited the rest of my hang out time this week, just so I would be able to get ahead on all my studies and syllabus work.

I did have a movie night with Autumn last night to hear all the details about her and Lou's date. Turns out he is pretty romantic. He brought her flowers and took her to see a romantic film she got to pick, but he ended up liking it as well. Autumn was really happy.

My love life? Well shit. Other than the few texts here and there between Harry and I, things have not gotten further. I was still secretly holding a little bit of a grudge for how annoying and shitty he is... but I am starting to get used to it really.

How pathetic is that.

I knew he and I said we would hang out this week, but luckily Harry understood how serious I take my studies, and he hasn't pushed it further. I did make a small comment about the party this weekend, so hopefully he got the hint I would be there. Maybe that means...

No, stop it Riley. No letting your head make up a fake scenario of what might happen. Just let it happen if it does, if not, it isn't meant to be. Get back to your homework assignment right now.

I cannot help the audible groan that rumbles out of my throat as I realize how hungry and bored I am. I cannot focus. I need to take a break.

I check my phone to see it's already almost 6:30pm. I swear my History Lecture class is canceled more often  than any of us attend it. So far we have only gone the initial day of class, and since then it has been canceled almost each time and we just get loads of homework and stuff to read.

I shouldn't complain honestly. 

I shove the books and notebooks currently occupying my lap off and towards the end of the bed before I throw my legs out of the covers to stretch them out. Autumn was in her room watching some tv show about half dressed people trying to survive on a beach... Survivor? Lost? Who knows.

I shuffle past her door and into the kitchen to find some leftovers in the fridge. I warm up the pasta and make a small salad before sitting down at the counter to stuff my face while scrolling on my phone.

Did you know that Ethiopia has a 13-month calendar and is 7 years behind the rest of the world?? Well I didn't know that, but I learned it while scrolling on tiktok. Pretty wild.

I have officially peaked my boredom and finally decided that I want to leave the house.

I grab my keys and decide to drive around. I knew I would probably end up at the Mockingbird or something, but who knows.

After another 15 minutes of flipping through songs, singing to myself with the windows down, and trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my night I realize exactly where I am going without even meaning to.