Chapter 79

Thursday, November 23rd (Thanksgiving)

Riley's POV

No one tells you how different your life can change in the blink of an eye.

It's only been a few days, but as I stand in the doorway of Harry's old room I look around at the emptiness that remained. Everything was so different now, the unmade bed, the empty closet, and the once clean floor. I shift the box of books from one arm to the other, because I knew if I had ever left this behind Harry would have probably exploded on command. Niall was walking through the hall with the Ken coat in hand, such a different time and different memory it felt like. He tosses it over his shoulder and opens his arms to extend to me to hold the box. I think after the past few days of restless sleep everyone knows I am a bit of a mess and probably feeling bad for me. "Hand it over Rye. Is this the last of it?" I nod.

"Okay cool, want me to drive you over?" I shake my head, knowing that I needed the car ride for some therapeutic music alone time. "You remember how to get there?"

"Yeah, uhm, Liam messaged it to me." I start to fidget with my fishtail braid before my hand rests in one another. The rings that fit were on my own hands now. Not too many did, but that's okay I have them in a box to take with. I look down at the H and S that rests of either thumbs for now, there is a piece of you in how I dress. I love that.

"Niall," I call out, but he was too far to hear me. I revel in the last few seconds of Harry's bedroom, flashing memory over memory that was shared within these walls. When I finally bring myself into the hallway and close the door I spy Autumn in the bathroom tossing her own hair into a bun in the bathroom. 

Autumn looks at me through the mirror, "is that yours? Can I borrow it?" Her eyes flicker over to a deep green silk scrunchie. "Yeah, you can. It was Harry's, but he doesn't need it anymore. It's one he got from that nurse actually." I take a seat on the toilet lid and wrap my knees into my chest with my arms holding me tightly. 

Once Autumn's hair was tied up she leans back against the sink, stretching in her brown lululemon work out flare leggings and matching bra. "You doing okay babes?"

I shrug.

"You know it's okay to be upset and stuff. No one is upset by how you feel right now. You went through..... well a lot." Autumn pads over to me and wraps me into a hug. I love her so much.

I lied to Niall. I didn't drive along. Autumn ended up coming with me so we could shout out Taylor Swift and let all of our emotions at once. It was a seven hour drive after all.

The driveway of the new house was magnificent. It was three cars wide to match the garage. But that made sense having the entire group move here, because we bring a lot of baggage including cars and bikes. 

I barely get the car in park before I practically rip the handle off to open my door and rush across the lawn. "What in the fuck are you doing Harry?!" I scream as he tries to carry a box inside.

"Being helpful." He mutters while limping into the building. He hadn't even changed out of boxers, an untied robe, and slippers, but the fucking dummy was trying to help move boxes inside. I snatch the box out of his hands and start running it into the foyer to place on the floor. "Harry, stop. You know you are on bed rest right now!"

Harry rolls his eyes. "I feel dead when I just lay there all day."

I huff, "you almost were dead. The doctor told you that you need to be horizontal remember?"

Harry shuffles back towards the couch in the living room that he had taken residency in all day. "Did you get the box in my-" I hold up my hand to cut him off, "mum's books in the closet." I say in my best British accent. In my opinion it's getting really good, despite the fact that Harry cringes every time I do it.