Chapter 28

**TRIPLE UPDATE - CHAPTERS 26, 27, AND 28 are NEW!**

Sunday, September 3rd

Riley's POV

Time is either going super fast, or incredibly slow but I cannot decide which.

I haven't seen Avery again since we last spoke, but Mick and Shark showed up to give me food. Actually, Mick gives me snacks and Gatorade while Shark glares at me across the room reminding me how I am useless.

I have tried talking to them both, but it has gotten me nowhere really. All I have learned is that I think I am going to die here. Mick and Shark have given up on beating me for answers when I met Avery, realizing I have nothing to offer them.

I replay all the parts of the Avery conversation in my head like a loop.

Chess. Harry. Harry is being used. All the guys are working together. Alexander and Aiden are the key people behind all this shit. Everett. Drug Dealers. Murderers. Alexander wanted revenge on someone, a ex lover.

There is so much that my head is pounding, I feel dehydrated, and my limbs all ache.

"The most powerful piece is referred to as the Queen. The Queen protects the King. The Rook can move side to side, forward, and to the back. The King is who they all want. The bishop moves diagonally. Pawns serve the defensive line to bring out more players. I'm a pawn. The Bishop can capture and progress gameplay."

"Jesus fuck. Are you doing that again? Are you like one of those weird chess prodigy kids or something?" Mick cuts through the speech I have been repeating out loud nonstop. I wasn't sure if it was helping me keep calm or maybe it was making me lose my mind, but I couldn't help it really.

The room had no natural light, there was nothing for me to focus on. I couldn't even tell the time. How long have I been gone? Did I fail out of college? Were mom and dad worried? Was I on the news? Autumn missed me right? Has Harry already moved on?

"Honey, I got good news for you." Mick squats down to get his eyes level with mine as I sit on the floor. "Your boyfriend is here to rescue you."

I was sure this had to be a test.

I smile still as Harry crosses my mind. I know that is who he means.

I wish Harry was here. I wish Harry would rescue me. I need him. I need his help.

"Yep. No joke. Harry and his goons showed up last night and waited around for hours. I guess they were probably waiting for us to show up. Avery saw them and let us know to watch out for the little temper on your boo." -Mick

"Where is he? Did you hurt them?" I hoarsely ask, please say no I internally beg.

"That would do us no good, you silly! This is more about the long game." -Mick

"Chess." -Riley

"Sure. If you wanna give it a name, we are playing chess right now. We don't want you. We don't even want your little boyfriend. We want someone else, but you guys are gonna' lead us right where we need to go. Slowly Aiden has been cleaning the board, but we need to get a little closer to finish things, and now that is possible, all thanks to you." -Mick

"Yay. Lucky me." I dryly reply to him. I hate how fake nice Mick is, it physically makes me feel ill.

"Anyway, when your little lovers come to rescue the damsel in distress, aka, you, will you do me a favor? Give them this please." Mick puts his hand out and waves it impatiently before Shark sulks over and hooks a cherry printed gift bag that was overflowing with red tissue paper around Mick's fingers.

" Mick puts his hand out and waves it impatiently before Shark sulks over and hooks a cherry printed gift bag that was overflowing with red tissue paper around Mick's fingers

I hesitate but ask, "What is it?" This isn't Hollywood or a movie, but if it was, I know that is a bomb.

"Shhhhh. It's a surprise present baby." Mick coos while leaning into my ear and dropping the bag onto my lap. It weighed almost nothing. "Now don't get greedy and look, it isn't for you."

I nod, afraid to speak honestly.

Mick instead starts to stand up and tousles my hair on my head, "I'm gonna' miss ya' blondie. It was fun hanging out. But don't worry, I'll see you again soon."

I can't react. I feel empty. I don't even care about his threat. I just feel empty.

I hear the door shut behind him, and I don't even notice that they don't lock it behind them this time.

***Author's Note Below***

WHAT IS IN THE BAG?????

Love you all! <3 -T