Chapter 38

Sunday, September 17th

Riley's POV

Harry to Riley: Good morning beautiful. I had Lou check the cameras and he said everything is up and running. Is something wrong?

Harry to Riley: Hey you are probably still asleep. Just wanted to tell you we are on the way back from Denver. We loaded the jet about twenty minutes ago and we will be home later tonight. I'll let you know when we land.

I rub my eyes with the back of my hand while coming out of a groggy state and check my phone to see two missed texts from Harry early in the morning. It's light out now and it's almost eleven am.

Autumn and I both fell asleep on the couch watching movies and my phone was almost dead at this point. I tried to quietly roll myself off the couch and onto the floor without waking her. Once I plug my phone in I send a quick message back to Harry to hopefully put his mind at ease.

Riley to Harry: Nothing is wrong, just checking in.

Another lie.

Riley to Harry: Can't wait till your back!

"I NEED CAFFEINE STAT!" I hear a groggy Autumn shout from the living room. I grab a hoodie and head back out to find her stretching and rolling her neck. "Will you please please please be a saint and go grab us some coffees? You're way more of a morning person than me and I kinda' feel like I am on the verge of death."

"Yeah yeah, don't think sweet talking to me is the answer. You're just a lazy brat." Autumn shrugs and starts to search for her own phone in the couch cushions. "But yes, I will run over to Mockingbird and grab us some. You want one of those cranberry apple muffins or the chocolate croissant thing?"

Autumn perks up a little at the idea of food. "Oh for sure a muffin. Also iced drink please!"

"I know the drill here."

I snatch my keys and wallet to stuff into my purse before heading out the door to the cafe. I took a quick peek around the hallway to see if I could spot any cameras, but no, these guys were really good.

I almost reach the apartment entrance when the door comes flying open and almost hitting me in the face.

Fuck.

Do not tell me the fucking creeper car came to my apartment.

"How do you know that? Did you actually look it up? I do not think that's even a real number." A familiar looking woman comes barreling through the door with a man trailing close behind. It wasn't until I noticed the man was holding a small dog that I put it together and remembered Blueberry, Matt, and Kate.

"Oh hello neighbor!" She greets me and the couple drops the small argument that was currently in process when they walked in. "Here, ask Riley what she thinks! I bet she will agree with me." Matt suggested.

I usually see Matt when I am returning from classes, but with Kate I never hardly ever see her so our interactions were small at this point.

"You are insufferable." Kate playful huffs out. "Okay Riley, help us here. Matt says there are at least and I quote 'like thirty thousand shark attacks a year'. Tell him that is crazy, it is not nearly that high. I told him I want to go on a boat day and the damn guy keeps telling me no because he is afraid a shark is gonna' get us."

I laugh a little at the fight knowing it is irrational and I didn't actually intrude on something. "Hmmm" I pretend to think about who to agree with while Matt looks hopeful and Kate shakes her head at him. "I am gonna' have to side with Kate here. Seems a little high to me. Also, are you just going on a boat or actually getting into the water?"