38:TK+Carlos⚠️⚠️⚠️

•Title: "Truly unconditional love"

•Requester: Sjjjsam2000

•Warnings: talk of drugs and alcohol, relapse, etc. Also, I mention vomit briefly.

•Inspiration: the request

•Type: angst

A/N: I refuse to take any opioids (I have addiction in my family), so I don't know anything about how many milligrams is too many.

_____ _____ _____

It's a clear and sunny Tuesday afternoon and the 126 is at the station with an hour or so left in their shift. Tk is watching a game of foosball be played by Marjan, Paul, Mateo, and Nancy. Judd and Tommy are sitting at the table, talking about Judd's latest parenting crisis with Wyatt. Owen is preparing himself a cup of coffee from his beloved machine. His attention is pulled away from watching the team when his phone rings. He slips it out of his pocket and looks at the caller id.

Nicole Watson

Owen sighs but answers the call nonetheless, "hello?"

"Owen, hi. It's Nicole," a soft voice comes through the device, "Luke's mom."

"Hi, Nicole," Owen responds as he walks away from the team, "what's up?"

"Well," a sniffle can be heard, "I thought you should know that Luke passed away yesterday. He OD'd," she says softly.

"Oh, Nicole," his voice softens even more, "I am so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, Owen. That means a lot to me," she responds, "please, tell TK how thankful I am for the friendship he gave my son. Even when they weren't high, Luke saw TK as a brother."

"I will," Owen says softly before the two end the call and Owen slips his phone back into his pocket.

Owen walks into his office and shuts the door. He pulls the blinds down and places his hands on the desk. He takes a shaky breath as thoughts run through his mind. He remembers the first time he met Luke Watson. It was when TK was a teenager. They went to school together. They were part of a group that led to both of their addictions. They started by smoking marijuana a few times. Then, TK and Luke began to smoke any chance they got. Luke even began dealing it as well. When the group went to a party, someone from a different school brought some cocaine. TK and Luke, having grown bored of weed and alcohol, each did a line, then another. The group then backed away from the two, seeing them as 'too far gone'.

When TK was forced into rehab by his mother, he feared that Luke would hate him. Luke actually admired him, though. He even decided to get clean with TK. Luke relapsed about two months after TK moved to Austin. The two had stayed in touch, and TK was devastated when he learned of his friend's slip up. In order to preserve his own sobriety-after Luke makes it clear that he has no desire to get clean-he cuts his best friend out of his life. This wasn't a decision he made lightly. It broke him up inside to cut him out, but he knew it had to be done. He still keeps tabs on Luke through his Facebook page, though.

Owen closes his eyes as he takes another breath. He slips his phone back out and unlocks it. He goes to his phone app, then to his 'favorites'. He clocks on the contact before pressing the small phone icon. He presses the device to his ear as it begins to ring.

"Owen? Is TK okay?" Carlos asks after the call connects.

"Yeah, he's fine," Owen sighs and looks at the ceiling of his office, "could you come here, though? I have to give him some bad news and he'll need your support."

"Yeah," Carlos grabs his keys and leaves the loft, "I'm on my way now."

+ + + + +

Thankfully the universe decides to help Owen out, as TK is on a medical call when Carlos arrives. Owen, now having risen the blinds, leaves his office when he sees Carlos come into the station. He feels guilty as he sees the frantic look on his soon-to-be son in-law's face.