𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥

July 4th, 2021

July 4th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

My birthday. Today was the day.

Happiness ran throughout my bloodstream. The endorphins had flown into my brain from the excitement that I would finally be able to spend time with my friends later in the evening.

A day had passed from the time I had spent with Rafe, despite him living beside my house — He had texted me. We started to learn more about one another but nonetheless started to become friends within the moment. He had been one of the sweetest guys I had met despite the issues he had faced. He had opened himself up to me about the issues he faced at home, nonetheless how he had held everything up in his body which led him to exploding on everyone in heat of the moments. I kept reminding him how he could always end up redeeming himself — become a better human that what he or others had thought of himself. He was fun to be around. He was vulnerable around me which made the moments more comfortable.

Twirling around in the large mirror that sat in my bathroom, I stared at my miniature figure that had been ready for the day. The mini paisley print dress that had covered my body had the perfect mixture of colors — Orange, Blue, Yellow, and pink. The dress had been ruffled on the bottom while the top of the dress was cut into a v-shape against my breast area. My long hair sat against my back, curled while my makeup had been finished up moments ago. Turning my back towards the mirror, I walked out of the bathroom with my fingers hitting against the light switch to turn it off.  Barefoot, my feet brushed against the carpeted floor while making my way into the closet to grab a pair of shoes. I rubbed my hand against my chin and looked down at the small shoe rack to decide on the shoes. I grabbed ahold of white platform Doc Marten sandals that had matched with the cute dress. The dress had been gifted to me by Kiara last year on my birthday.

Scents of fresh citrus and cake mix had formed down the hallway. Loud noises came from the kitchen as the mixer had been turned on high, my mother making my birthday cake that I ate every year on my birthday. I grasped against my phone that laid on my made bed, pulling the phone up into my hands to see text messages from family members that lived in different states and my friends. I smiled to myself while opening a text message from Sarah Cameron. "I know today is your special day! I'm sorry we couldn't plan the girls day today but I think we can do it next week. I have something special for you!" She had texted me in a short message using small icons that were a representation of her feelings. I kept the smile on my face and started to text her back. "It's all okay! I can't wait to see you tonight! I have people that I think you would love to be around!" I responded to her and looked throughout the messages that were sent from other people. Even though it was a holiday, I had still felt incredibly special and made feel worth it.

I had woken up early in the morning to see Kaia standing above my tired body against my bed. She had held flowers and an iced matcha in her hands that she had bought for me as her way to say "Happy Birthday". She was the best little sister that I could ever wish for, and it had made my day. After responding to all the messages that had blown up my phone, I made my way down the hallway and into the kitchen. My mother had been placing homemade cake mix into the oven while my father had been setting up decorations around the house to make me feel more special than I had already felt. "Hi my birthday girl!" My mom had spoken at the sight of me coming into the kitchen with my birthday outfit on. I smiled at her and smelt the scent of the lemon cake in the oven. "Hi momma! That cake smells so good." I complimented her baking that had been mine and Kaia's favorite thing in the entire world. She would bake chocolate chip cookies every week during the summer when she had time which made the both of us happy. It was a fun treat to have throughout the day. I would take Kaia up towards a special spot that JJ had shown me, bringing some cookies along so that we could bond and eat our mom's homemade cookies that were special to us. My dad had hung pink, orange, and blue streamers above the small kitchen dining table and outside at the long table he had made last summer with the help of JJ. He had hung little decorative pieces that were ocean related — seashells and starfishes. My heart had became full in that moment.