𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞

"there's a place in the sun, and before my life is done, got to find me a place in the sun

"there's a place in the sun, and before my life is done, got to find me a place in the sun."

April 24th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

Welcome Kodi Luella Madison-Cameron.

Sunshine peered down through the hospital window. Movements of the people around me became a blur as the epidural started to set into my body after my water broke in the early morning. The feeling of immense pain formed inside of my cervix while Rafe rushed me to the hospital in order for me to birth our first ever daughter. He stayed by my side the entire time, holding onto my hand while I seemed out of it. He kept his eyes on me and had managed to protect me from anything that could happen. Whispering sweet nothings to me to keep my mind away from the contractions that hit my small body. The nurses would walk in and out every twenty minutes to see how much my cervix was dilated, meaning when the time was to have me start pushing.

The early morning consisted of me doing normal tasks such as getting ready, doing my hair and skincare after a warm shower, picking up around the house, and doing everyday chores. I didn't think I would go into labor until I felt a rush of water pour down my thighs — making me yell for Rafe as he had been in his office, working from home. Rushing me to the car and getting us to the hospital within minutes almost like his life depended on it. The weather was the typical warm beach weather in the middle of the spring just before summer hit. Rafe would be turning twenty-two in the next upcoming weeks which he considered our baby to be his birthday gift. According to him, it was the best birthday gift he could ever receive. It still pained me at nights when I realized my best friends had been missing since August. I didn't have enough strength to keep stressing about the situation, I had to force myself to understand that they were gone with the help of constant therapy leading up to the weeks before I went into labor. The anxiety and stress of trying to constantly figure out where my friends had gone led to my own depression that felt inescapable. Rafe became so concerned that it was so unhealthy; he had my mother refer me to a therapist that would help me overcome and grieve.

Up to the following weeks before going into labor, the therapist recommended that I spend time at the places I loved most to compensate for the loss I had felt. Rafe would walk to the beach beside me, holding a small bag full of snacks and drinks with a large beach towel for us to sit on. I would walk along in the tidepools, seashell hunting for my own enjoyment while listening to the ocean crash against the beach. Somedays, I would watch the surf meets that would take place. Hours on the beach helped compensate and allowed me to feel stress free. I would then go home and cook dinner to subside from anything that could complace itself onto my mind. Rafe tried his absolute best to take care of me alongside himself in the long run. We had finished decorating the nursery even though our daughter would be sleeping in the same room as us for multiple months until able to sleep on her own in her own room. The room was beautiful and full of cozy items that she would ever need in the world. I was more than ready to become a mother, but was more than ready to meet the sweet baby I had formed inside of my own small body.