𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐢𝐧

"Cause I like to love, to love, to love, to love you

I hate to hate, to hate, to hate, to hate you.
Put the Beatles on, light the candles, go back to bed."

August 7th, 2021.
Charleston, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

The sight of a presumed dead man made us drop our mouths in pure disbelief and terror. Something in me wanted to drop on the floor out of fear of my boyfriend's father. Silhouettes of my boyfriend and his father stood in the doorway while I stood behind Rafe from a distance. Swallowing the anxiety that was growing in the back of my throat. Melancholy feelings clouded over my head almost like my heart was going to stop; burst out of my chest and onto the wooden floor of the beautiful home. Rafe stared at his father in disbelief as he stared at him like he was admiring the older man that looked like he went through a lot for the past month. I could sense the emotions that my boyfriend was feeling. He was going to give in to his father's tactics or whatever he had wanted from us. "Can I come in?" He asked his son with a raspy voice. I walked towards the wooden door that Rafe's muscular body stood in front of. I shook my head and knew that letting him in was allowing him to walk all over his son again.

"No, you're not coming in here." I spoke aloud in anger knowing the trauma that he caused not only in his son's life, but in mine. Leaving my best friend to bleed out in my arms over a box of information for the Royal Merchant drove me into an anger when I saw him standing in front of my boyfriend. Rafe moved out of the way to show me standing behind him. The older man stared at me and a smile grew on his face at the sight of me. "Isla, you're here." He spoke to me while he held his hat in his wrinkled hand. His fingers played with the rim of the hat. "I have so much to explain to you both. Please, let me explain." He replied once again after I shook my head at him and stood beside Rafe. He held his hand on the door knob. I could sense that Rafe wanted to grasp his father in his arms and hold him while tears poured down onto his face. He moved to the side while I looked at Ward. "Come in, Dad." Rafe spoke out of disobedience to what I had said before about not welcoming him in. Inviting a dead man into our home? That was insane behavior. How did he even make it out of the blown up boat? Who did we bury if it wasn't him in the casket?

I stepped back and looked at Rafe with anger forming across my face. He looked down at me and leaned his body against the door. Ward stepped into the house, wiping his shoes on the woven mat. "Really?" I mouthed to him as I walked away from the door and headed back into the living room out of anger. I couldn't believe what was happening in the early evening. A fake dead man showed up to the house. I couldn't feel anything but a sense of shock, disbelief, anger, sadness and despair. I had no idea how to cope with the feelings knowing that my boyfriend was allowing his father, that caused him so much pain back, into his life. I couldn't believe him. Hearing Rafe talk to his father in the hallway after he shut the door. He hugged his father and held him within his arms. Knowing that there was nothing better than the feeling of having a parent around. I sat down on the couch, listening to shoes clicking against the wooden floor as it echoed into the house. "Let me get you a drink, go sit down on the couch." He spoke to his father as they stood in between the living room and the kitchen. I moved to the very end of the couch to stay far away from him, looking at the presumed dead man whose funeral we were at a month ago.