𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐫 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐞

July 7th, 2021

July 7th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

Music blasted throughout the environment while seniors and college students started to show up at the "territory" beach. Waves crashed against the shoreline while teenagers held red solo cups in their tan hands, talking and dancing with one another. My feet shuffled against the white sand while I held onto a small can of beer in my hand. Sarah and John B had smiled and giggled with one another, meanwhile JJ had taken his board out into the ocean to show his "Party Tricks". Kiara had been chatting with multiple teens around our age about micro plastics in the ocean. Pope tried to flirt with girls by telling them that he wanted to be a coroner, which didn't help his case of getting a girlfriend — but that was just who he was as a person. He was different but he was genuine and intelligent whenever he wanted to be. I had taken a seat on a large piece of tree that had collapsed on the white sand beach after the hurricane that happened weeks ago. Soft sand covered up to my ankles while I had taken sips of the alcoholic beverage that John B pulled out of the chest for me before everyone started to show up.

A large wave started to form before JJ, watching him paddle with gentleness against the waves. He started to prepare himself to pull himself up on the board and ride the wave like the surfer boy he became at a young age. Smiling, I stared at the sight of the shirtless boy paddling before pulling himself up on the yellow board he was using. JJ stood up in a stance in order to keep his balance. He kept his feet gripped against the board as he twisted his body against the waves. The board rode with effortlessness while he had started to walk against the board, showing his party trick of being able to walk while riding a wave. JJ rode out the large wave with confidence. Reminding me of all the years we surfed with another after being taught by my father, who used to surf on his free time. Teenagers crowded against the beach to watch JJ do his party tricks. All of them watched in pure amazement of the balance and athleticism that JJ worked on for multiple years.

JJ collapsed into the water after the small trick he showed to everyone. He started to come back up from the ocean, the board against his hip. The water dripped against his muscular chest as he stared at me with a dimpled smile forming. He shook his head to get rid of the excess salt water and sat the board up in the sand beside a large Palm tree. Sand covered him up to his ankles while he walked towards me with a smile still on his face. "What'd you think about that?" He asked as he sat beside me on the driftwood log. I smiled at him, nodding my head. "Best one yet, J." I told him and picked the alcoholic drink back up in my petite hand. Lifting the drink to my mouth as I covered my tongue in the bitter alcoholic drink. He glanced around the party while many teens covered the entire beach, dancing and talking to one another with animosity. They were living out their best teenager years that they could ever get.

JJ shook his wet hair again, splattering the water on my cheeks and skin. "Watch where you're flinging that." I told him and laughed as I took my open hand to wipe the water off of my face. He started laughing and shrugged his shoulders. "I'm sorry, Iz! Didn't mean to do that to you." He shook his head again, flinging the water against my skin and clothing once more. I pushed his bare shoulder and laughed at him in response. "You're annoying." I told him while wiping the water off of my face again. He shook his head and smiled widely, knowing that he could get under my skin whenever he wanted to. "You love me!" JJ spoke before standing up from the log while he started walking towards John B, opening the chest of alcoholic drinks. He had pulled out two beer cans and laughed a little bit with his own interactions towards John B and Sarah during that moment. He made his way back over to me, handing me another beer. "Shot gun it with me." He spoke as I grasped onto the beer can, standing up from the log. I poked a small hole in the side of the can alongside JJ and then opening the top part to allow the alcohol to go through the small hole. I put my mouth against the beer can as JJ and I made eye contact, chugging the alcohol that poured out of the blue cans. His eyes widened as I had lifted the can up to show him the emptiness of the can. Sticking out my tongue and allowed the last drop to hit the center of it. "Holy shit, I don't know how you did that so fast." He spoke in a small laugh that had made my heart race faster besides the alcohol that would take me down as a light weight. I shrugged and wiped the side of my cheek where a small amount of alcohol ran down.