𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞

July 6th, 2021

July 6th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

The scent of a coconut candle had circulated in the air. My fingers ran through the curls that had been sitting after the iron formed them. Using the palms of my hands, I scrunched the curls to give them an extra boost before I started in on the last step of my makeup. The eyelash curler had clamped down on my eyelashes, curling them in an upward direction. Taking turns on both sides before setting the eyelash curler onto the white marbled counter and picking up the brown mascara that sat beside it. My hand drug out the wand before pushing the small bristles against my eyelashes to make them lengthy. I had brushed the lightweight mascara onto the lashes to look natural but lengthy, almost flirty. I had smiled at myself in the mirror as I sat the tube of mascara back onto the counter and messed with the rings that sat against my fingers. Flicking the light switch off in the bathroom, I headed back into my bedroom to see the small pile of presents that had been unpacked and looking for a place to stay inside my room. Beside the stack of the presents, the unopened present from Rafe had sat on the small woven bench. I smiled to myself as I had worn the small locket that JJ had gotten me in reminder of my friends even though Kiara and I had not been on speaking terms for now.

I walked over to the unopened present bag and had pushed my hands into the bag. The bag was purple with pink tissue paper that sat around a small box inside of it. I unwrapped the box and had opened it to see the sight of a small gold bracelet that would fit against my petite wrists. I smiled and shook my head while I had placed the small bracelet against my wrist. Stepping away from the woven bench, I walked in front of the large mirror while the sunset started to form onto my skin. My body held against a small mini dress that was a pastel yellow. The curves against my body held the dress into a shape that it was made for meanwhile my shoulders held onto the small spaghetti strapped straps. I had worn platform white sandals on my feet that had made my legs look longer in the mirror due to the height of it, making me 5'5 in height. I did a small turn in the mirror and had smiled at myself again to avoid the overthinking moments that would come if I didn't keep myself busy in that moment. I walked over to my phone and picked it up, seeing that I had missed messages from JJ. He had stated,"are you at home? Your dad wanted me to come help him move some boxes." I had narrowed my eyebrows in hopes that he wasn't here because it would be more than embarrassing and nervous for me if Rafe had shown up while JJ was here at the same time. I had panicked and texted him back with nervousness filing through my own bloodstream. "I'm home but I'm about to leave." I texted him back and brushed the mini dress down as I had turned my phone off. I headed out of my bedroom, closing the white door behind me and walking towards the kitchen where my mother had been cooking dinner for Kaia, my father, and her own self. I had caught the eyes of my mother as she had smiled to see me dressed up and in a good mood for the moment. "Well don't you just look stunning!" She commented as she had stirred a shrimp gumbo that she made from scratch. She had learned the recipe from my grandmother that had made it while she was growing up. I smiled at the comment as the dish seasonings had filled my nostrils. "Thank you." I told my mom as I smiled at her again. "Where are you going?" She asked as I sat down on the small wooden bar stool that sat behind the bar in the kitchen. Kaia had sat beside Jack on the couch, brushing his fur coat while she had been watching a show on her children's channel. "Rafe asked me out on a date." I told her and pushed my hair behind my ears, showing the four piercings that I had on both ears. She narrowed her eyebrows as the garage door had opened, my father and JJ walking into the house to scent of the delicious dinner my mother had made. JJ's eyes dazzled upon me as he had looked me up and down from where I was seated with his eyes almost forming hearts in them. I smiled at him as the side door had formed a knock on the outside of it. I closed my eyes in a panic as my mother had shot her eyes to her husband and JJ. I stood up from the bar with my phone in my hand, my hands pushing down the dress meanwhile I had walked towards the side door to open it. My hand grasped against the brass doorknob, pulling the door open to see Rafe standing there with a large smile on his face. He glanced around the kitchen until JJ had stood against the wall with his arms crossed, watching my movements. "Hey!" Rafe said as he had kept the smile against his face. I had smiled at him and looked up towards his eyes that had glanced to see JJ standing there. "Hey Rafe!" JJ said as he had thrown his hand up to interrupt mine and his interaction. I turned to look at JJ with an annoyance look forming on my face as my mother and father had stood with a pure shock at the interaction. "Hey man." Rafe had spoken back to JJ as he pushed his hands into the pockets of his black slacks that fit his muscular legs perfectly. I narrowed my eyebrows at JJ and shrugged my shoulders at him. "Mr and Mrs. Madison, I promise to have her back before nine." Rafe smiled at them as my father had nodded his head. My father hadn't been rooting for Rafe, instead he was rooting for JJ to be my future. My father believed that both men were hard working but my father had thought that all rich kids were stuck up and weren't humbled enough to be a good person. "Let me walk you out, Izzy." JJ smiled as he rested his hand onto my waist. Rafe had walked in front of me while JJ had held onto my waist still, his finger tips gripping against my hip almost like he had been digging it into the side of them. Rafe had parked his black car in front of the garage beside my Ford Branco. JJ's bike had sat beside the Branco meanwhile his helmet sat near the bike's wheel.