𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭

"Your back beneath the sun

Wishin' I could write my name on it."

July 30th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

Silence surrounded the two of us while we sat in the darkened room that was dimmed by the moon that shined into the bedroom window. The earth felt as if it sat tilted on its side, unable to keep spinning from the confessions that came out of JJ's mouth. Stars shined brightly out above the ocean that had crashed against the shore outside of the home. My mind was unable to comprehend JJ's expression about him being in love with me. I sat confused in disbelief that he could ever have fallen in love with me while I was starting to fall in love with someone. JJ resided up against the headboard with his sling arm resting on his chest. His blue eyes stared at me with love forming inside of his pupils while he was admiring me from afar. My heart pounded with miles of adrenaline rushing into it. Unable to speak, I turned towards him and shook my head at JJ.

He ran his finger tips against his tanned skin that faced sun damage from many years of surfing in the wild ocean that made him happy. "No, you are in love with the idea of me." I spoke aloud while my eyes glanced down at his sling. Nervousness had rushed into my bloodstream while I started to get ancy, wanting to leave the bedroom to escape him. Being around him and hearing his confession flea from his mouth brought back pain that came from high school. Remembering the night that I confessed to him that I was in love with him. That exact night my sophomore year, he had rejected me within an instant. Dehumanizing me around my friends that witnessed me confess my feelings to him. Their eyes widened, knowing that it would go horribly because JJ wanted Kiara and she wanted him the same amount. Their hearts yearned for one another. They were meant to be together. The words that he told me while he shut me down when we sat around the campfire with another. Truth or Dare. Pope had asked me to choose between Truth or Dare, which I had chosen to dare. I remembered very vividly that he said,"I dare you to tell someone how you feel about them." This had left me to tell JJ how I had fallen in love with him.

I remember the burning fire that made my skin warm while sitting across from JJ. Kiara sat beside me, we had come together and planned on going back to my house for a sleepover much later after hanging around the group. My eyes stared at the large campfire that kept burning from old documents that Big John didn't need anymore. My eyes glanced up towards JJ, feeling my heart pound against my chest before I opened my mouth to tell him. "Well, I'm in love with you, JJ." I told him while the waves crashed against the shoreline. The fire crackled, John B and Pope narrowing their eyebrows at another. JJ's eyes widened before he looked at Kiara with the same loving look he always gave her. Kiara was beautiful. Dark curly hair that sat against her shoulders. Her brown eyes held sarcasm and openness. She was practically perfect and I would never compare to her. JJ shook his head at me across from the fire that we sat beside. "I'm not in love with you and that's for sure." He said with a drunken tone from the alcohol that he and Kiara had stolen from her parents' restaurant. I swallowed the lump in my throat, panic started to rush into my chest while my stomach turned at the rejection that he had given me. Our group became silent as Kiara placed her hand against my back.