𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐢𝐟

July 30th, 2021

July 30th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

The scent of the café lingered with fresh coffee that had been poured into cups, given out to those that purchased one. I sat in a corner of the café with my eyes focused on the MacBook in front of me that I had used to sign up for my college courses at the local community college. Teenagers ran around on the block outside of the café, laughter erupting from their mouths. I typed away on the keyboard while I had distracted myself from the sounds of the young teenagers having fun. They carried surfboards up underneath their arms, walking barefoot against the hot concrete. The days from Ward taking his own life, alongside to my best friend being shot in his shoulder — passed by quickly but also seemed slower than usual.

Rose had invited my family to the funeral. I sat next to Rafe, his hand intertwining itself into mine like he had always done. He stared at the casket that was empty because the police couldn't find the dead body of his own father. Sarah sat beside John B, her eyes couldn't look at the brown colored casket. She laid her head against his shoulder. Pope, Kiara, and JJ sat behind us with my parents. Kaia sat beside Wheezie on the opposite side. Rose on the other side of Kaia, her hands in her lap while her eyes formed tears. She had been silent for the entire funeral as certain people stood up to speak about who Ward was as a person. Rafe stared at the casket with no expressions against his tan skin. He couldn't make out that this was real life which was heartbreaking to watch form in his blue eyes. I would squeeze his hand every once in a while to help him unfocus himself from overthinking. He was fine for the two weeks before his funeral, which was yesterday. He surrounded himself around me and my family while helping me out take care of JJ which took his mind off of the situation that played out. I found him not being himself but I didn't want to question him — because he was going through the worst pain imaginable. The only thing that had made him smile throughout those two weeks was two things : being around me and seeing the first ultrasound of our child that was growing inside of me, slowly but surely.

Those were the two things that he had been looking forward to. He had kept the small ultrasound photos of the child developing inside of his wallet as a reminder to himself. It was sweet and made me realize that he wanted to be the best possible dad that he could be. He wanted to start accomplishing things that could lead to the start of fatherhood — accomplishing things that had satisfying results. This included searching for things for the baby's nursery that would go in his condo until it was too small for us to have a family in. He had been reading articles online about what to use product wise, alongside what is best for the child. It made me smile at the thought that he was truly ready to have a child despite the fact that both of us had never taken care of a child before. Of course I had taken care of Kaia when she was little because we are nine years apart. It was difficult to take care of her, but when she was born — I knew that I wanted to have children of my own once I had grown up to the right age. Which wasn't eighteen.