Chapter 36- Spilled

Warnings: This chapter includes a scene with gun violence that may be distressing to some readers. Reader discretion is advised.

YN'S POV
We return to New York the next day, and Scarlett tags me to my office after sending Rose to school. Everyone gathered around to discuss the documents in Gabriela's file and how they could apply to Johnson's case. With everything there, the records of Colin & Gabriela's relationship, documents dating back years, starting from PK Chemicals paying Mayor Jost's campaign.

No one can deny PK Chemical and Jost's family were involved. Not only will Johnson be cleared, but we will also be able to get PK Chemicals & Jost's family on more than just Gabriela's murder. Along with the NDA that details everything the Ellarius family was prohibited from mentioning, which looks more like a laundry list at this point of the things we were trying to prove in a class action suit.

We might be able to prove the company or Jost's family destroyed the evidence in that case. The test results mentioned in the NDA relate to the same compound that affects the townfolks. This means PK Chemicals and Jost's family were together on Gabriela's murder to keep her quiet. She was connecting the dots to the victims, and if this came out, the whole PK Chemical company would go down, and so would Jost's family.

After all, Ellarius's family's NDA predates the class action suit by years. It shows that PK Chemicals and Jost's family knew about the dangers of the compound. However, a document in PK Chemical's class action discovery should outline when each victim came in contact with the chemical. With that, plus the NDA, it will be more than enough to prove that PK Chemical and Jost's family knew exactly how risky that chemical was.

But we still need to find a silver lining in the NDA to put the Ellarius family at ease. Thus the team moves to the other section to find something in the wording of the NDA, leaving Scarlett and me alone in the library. "I'm sorry, my love. It must be boring to watch me work, huh." I guide Scarlett gently to a corner of the library.

"Nope, not at all. It's hot watching you in your element." Scarlett flirts as she leans on the shelves watching me flip through the files.

I snorted in amusement as I heard gasps from the others, then the sound of a chair scraping the flooring and footsteps hurrying across the floor behind me. "Is everything alright? Did you guys find something else?" I mutter, turning around. I half expected them to rush towards me with discovery, but I saw a masked man standing over Giana while the rest scattered around her, frozen.

"Giana! Who are you? What are you doing?" I calmly pulled Scarlett behind me, not wanting anything to happen to her.

Without replying, the masked man grabs the laptop from Giana's desk and runs away. "Stay here," I instruct Scarlett before running after the masked man without thinking. We cannot lose everything we gathered at this point.

"Yn! Stop!" I hear Scarlett screams for me. "

"Don't! He's got a-" hearing someone trying to warn me.

But I'm already halfway barreling toward him. I almost reached him when he dropped the laptop, only to pull a gun and pull the trigger to shoot me. The shot rings out, and I dive to the floor, hands over my ears. At that moment, all I could hear was the ringing in my ears and the muffled screams from the woman I loved most.

"Baby, no!"

"Ms. Yln!"

Gradually, the ringing stops, and I see Jake and the team rushing toward me while Giana rushes toward someone behind me. Scarlett! I struggle to move, vision throbbing red as pain lances through my entire body. Blood bubbles between my lips. I can't breathe. But my focus narrows down to hearing the commotion behind me. Trying to hear if Scarlett was okay.