thirty five

A/N... sorry for the late update, I've been so sick 😭😭

CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

Rigel Gaunt's Perspective.

Isla hasn't visited in just under two weeks, which, despite all thats happened since I met her – her fighting and defeating Ranrok, sending Harlow here, killing Rookwood – she's never taken more than 9 days to see me.

Maybe I was just being selfish – wanting so much of her time.

Or maybe she's hurt.

What if she is hurt?

I... can't do anything – I wouldn't even know.

Ominis would tell me.

Or Sebastian, or Anne, someone.

But what if they're all hurt?

"Stop, stop, stop," I whispered desperately, pulling my knees to my chest and burying my head between them – tugging at my hair.

Trying to tug the thoughts out of my head.

It's... almost been a year since she started to visit me.

And every time she comes with a bright smile, ready to tell me everything that's been happening and hold my stupid hand.

Making me smile stupidly.

Making me feel stupid, stupid hope.

I knew better than to hope – after all that's happened.

But I couldn't help it around her, she made me feel safe.

Maybe even normal, even for just a few minutes.

What if she doesn't want to see me anymore?

What happened the last time she visited? Did I do anything that'd scare her away?

I let out an annoyed groan as I tried to dig through my memory, it just... blanking.

It was summer.

School was about to start.

That could be why she's taking so long.

Or maybe I've slipped her mind.

"No," I whispered firmly to myself, lifting my head up to stare at the stone wall in front of me. "No," I repeated, trying to get the message in my head.

She cared.

Cares.

If she didn't she wouldn't have visited me for a year.

She would not just abandon me – that's not who she is.

So then why is she taking so long?

"Ry,"

My head shot up, my vision blurry – and dizzy, per usual.

A figure was in front of my cell bars – and then it clicked.

"Isla," I whispered, pulling myself out of the poor excuse of a bed and towards the bars – Isla coming into focus. "Why are you here so late?" I asked her hoarsely.

Isla gave me a reassuring smile and pulled out a key, holding it in my view for a moment and then slotting it into the keyhole on her side of the cell.

"What?" I breathed out in disbelief, hearing the lock click – and the cell door swing open towards her.

"I'm getting you out of here," She whispered softly, stepping back a bit to give me some room.

I looked at her in utter shock.