thirty seven

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

Fuck. I can't breathe.

Ominis tore off his black robes the instant he got out of the Undercroft, somewhat gasping for breath as he ran his fingers through his hair.

He didn't know why he was panicking so much – why he felt like he was suffocating, why his chest felt tight.

Am I losing it? Probably.

Ominis let out a defeated chuckle as he drowned in his thoughts – tugging at his collar, feeling like it was choking him.

He pocketed his wand and slumped against the wall, trying to calm his breathing as he unbuttoned the first few buttons of his black top.

Feeling relieved at the release of pressure, he let out a sigh.

What the hell just happened?

He couldn't wrap his head around it. His mouth was spitting out words faster than he could even comprehend it, let alone think it through like usual.

He was letting his thoughts get the best of him and he hated every minute of it.

"Ominis?" A soft voice called out.

"Sebastian." The blond breathed out, clearing his throat and trying to fix his hair as he stood up straight. "I didn't hear you coming," He stated casually.

The brunet gave him a concerned look, taking in his appearance. "I called your name twice," He told him gently. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," Ominis said quickly. "Perfectly fine. How are you?"

Sebastian let out a low chuckle, stepping closer to the boy. "We both know that's bullshit, Ominis, I know you better than anyone else,"

The boy sighed softly, letting his head slump down in defeat. "Look, it's fine, you don't need to fuss over me like a baby," He chuckled. "Isla's in the Undercroft, she'll need some company."

"Anne can provide that," Sebastian stated. "I'm staying here with you."

"So when I want you to stay you leave, and when I want you to leave you stay? Is that it?" Ominis blurted out.

Sebastian paused at his words – feeling the words cut him, but his concern for Ominis dulled that out for now.

However Ominis felt guilt settle in his chest. "I... I'm sorry," He breathed out, grabbing hold of his wand and pushing off the wall. "I didn't mean—"

The blond didn't finish his words, and rather just cleared his throat and walked away as quick as possible.

Did he really just say that to Sebastian? After knowing what Sebastian faced in the maze?

Shit.

Ominis whispered out aimless apologies as he quickly strode up the stairs, holding onto the railing tight as he tried to find someplace secluded.

"Ominis!!" Sebastian yelled out the boys name from the bottom of the stairs, where they were previously standing – just seeing the boy's figure disappear as he went further up the stairs.

The brunet cursed under his breath, running up the stairs as he tried to catch up to his best friend, calling out his name again and again, telling him to slow down.

The sound of Ominis's footsteps faded away, causing the boy to groan in frustration as he kept trying to look around for the blond boy.

"Ominis, darling, please," Sebastian called out, his voice echoing through the empty halls.