prologue

A/N... trigger warning for abuse!

PROLOGUE
three years prior to hogwarts

"Another nightmare?"

Isla stirred awake, her voice groggy and low as she spoke, grabbing onto her covers and lifting them up, scooting to the side.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay, little duck," Isla comforted softly, opening her eyes and giving her sister a reassuring smile, beckoning her over.

Her 10 year old sister snuck in under the covers, Isla wrapping them around her and holding her close, trying to comfort her as the little girl trembled.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Isla asked quietly, gently running her fingers through the girls hair.

The girl sniffled as she held onto her sisters shirt, curling into her and trying to organize her thoughts enough to fully process them.

"You and mum left me with dad," she whispered softly. "I looked around the house for you, and... and I found a note, in your writing, that said goodbye."

The girl's voice shook as she spoke, trying to keep herself together – but the comforting voice of her sister whispering sweet things to her caused her emotions to overflow.

Isla whispered sweet things to her, about how she could never leave her, how much she loved her, how she'll always be by her side, she just tried her best to console her sister.

But hearing her sobs, feeling her body tremble, Isla couldn't help but cry too.

Her heart broke whenever she saw her sister like this – and that was more often than she'd prefer.

Hell, she wouldn't prefer it all in all.

But she knew that was too much to ask for.

"They were talking about sending me to a boarding school for girls." She whispered after a moment, the girl looking up at Isla with tear streaks across her cheek.

Isla felt her heart drop. "What?"

Her sister simply nodded in response. "They think it will be good for me, that I will finally make friends... but I don't want to leave you," she whispered quieter, holding onto her sister tighter.

Isla did the same in return. "No." She said firmly, shaking her head. "I won't let them, okay? I'm staying with you no matter what, little duck, I cross my heart."

three years later

"We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as a fifth-year student.

Term begins on September 1st.

Preliminary supplies have been collected for you and will accompany you on your journey to the castle.

As you may be aware, the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery prohibits the use of magic by those under the age of seventeen outside of school. However, due to your unique circumstances, the Ministry has graciously agreed to allow Professor Fig to help you hone your spell-casting before escorting you from London to the castle for the start- of-first term feast and Sorting Ceremony.

Yours sincerely,
Professor Weasley
Deputy Headmistress"

Isla stared down at the letter in hand, sat at the dinner table while silence overtook the whole family.

But it was soon interrupted by her mother clearing her throat.

"While you go to this... Hogwarts place, Aimee will be sent to Woodridge Academy." Her mother spoke clearly, with a firm tone that lead no room for argument.