Chapter 30

No matter how many days I stay away from entering the common environment at home, it always feels a lot easier to be away, not necessarily soothing though.
Ross is helping out the nurse to pack medicines and dresses and left over stuff I would be required to go through again for a day or two.
Mom excitedly walks in through the door to let all the people in the room know that the bills are cleared and that I am ready to go home now. Though her excitement peaks in her expression but deep down i do know that's a half real thing and the rest she is just putting up.
Ross helps me climb down the bed and walk through the door all the way to the lift and down to the car parked from across the gate of the hospital.
I climb into the car. Ross opens the door on the other side and asks mom to climb beside me....to which mom disagrees. Surprised? Yes.

"You sit beside her" she says.
"No..i..you can..i mean...i will sit in the front..." Ross mumbles stumbling on each word.
"She'll be more comfortable with you beside her" mom says.

Oh.

I blush.....and look down. This is not right....i think to myself. Ross is my friend.....best friend..... though he did not claim any title for this relation in between us till now......that's still a question.

Ross climbs in to sit beside me. The silence rings in between us for a few minutes until he sighs.

"So.... where's mom?" I ask.
"She had something important to do, so she asked me to take you home, she'll get a little work done and then get back" he says rubbing the back of his head. He is tensed and awkward, that's something i learned about him in the past few interactions.

My chance.

"So...Ross i had something.... you know.... going on.... inside my head...."

"What?" Ross asked more in a tensed serious tone.

"What are we?" I ask.

He doesn't reply me back which...turns out to be creepy.....stupidious ......insane?

I shouldn't have asked this question out of the blue and of all the people to HIM!!

I hit a punch sideways on the door with my eyes shut and immediately realise it.

Shit.

I open and lift my eyes up and turn to see him staring at me. I caught his attention. Why the fuck can't i be a Lil more cautious in my appearance ever!!!

"You really don't need to worry or get pissed for asking this out to me" he says in a normal tone....too normal.

He literally reads each of my breath if not my mind.

"You know what Anna?"
"What?"
"Whatever relation exists between two people, it's good and pure until you name it"

Ross and his words. What did he say?
I try to gather everything and make a meaning out of it.

"The minute you give a name to the relation between two people, you immediately start having expectations from each other, some of them being fulfilled and some being out of reach. The moment you decide on a name for any relation, that's when happiness and pain starts, anger and sorrow pairs, laughs and claps play along."

He makes sense...... indeed true.

"For example, a new born loves his/her mother unconditionally until it actually understands the meaning of the term mother. They see their mother when they cry, when they feel disturbed, when they are hungry, when they want to play, whatever it is , for those few months, 24/7 they realise that a hand is always there for anything he/she needs. That individual when grows to understand the real meaning of the word mother, to some the role seems selfish, to some it's accompanied with agony , to some it's the most simple yet authorative, yet comforting word ever . It starts varying depending on your own needs, what we refer to as a perspective"

"Yes. You are right" i look at him with my moist eyes as memories flood back to me.

"That's the same case in a friendship or what we call as good friend, best friend and soulmate. You meet a person, you feel that he/she understands you, knows you, reads you the way others don't and you immediately start developing a soft corner for that person. That random stranger becomes your friend then a good one and ultimately the best friend right?"

I nod.

"But when that person fails to keep up with your expectations, you get sad or angry or both. Now Anna just think about it the other way. What if you guys continue to share things and laugh and cry together without asking each other about the term? The only 'term' ?"
He air quotes the word 'term' pointing out the metaphor beneath.

"You have him/her at your worst, you have them when you isolate yourself, you have them when you are the happiest, you have them in each occasion of your life without even asking them to be there and yet you just don't say anything about what exactly you guys are...so if someday that person doesn't stay beside your side you won't be hurt as much as you will be when you think about them with the terms of best/good friend."

He is right. He is indeed emphasizing himself deep down but even if I look past those matters, he indeed is right.

I couldn't help but think.....of Alex. Ross and Alex are best friends and yet they are polar opposite. Is that because how Ross sees the world in his own way which can only match up the most impulsive boy's actions?

I look up at Ross and smile a little and shoot a little closer to him and lay my head on his shoulders.

I wish I met him earlier, just a lil more.