Chapter 54

I don't say anything anymore and just step out of the area. To my surprise, he too doesn't say anything anymore and just allows me to go.

I walk away from him. I walk away from the person I was slowly growing to believe that, maybe....maybe.....he would be a safe place to trust on.
I am not hurt. I am just blank.

I somehow manage to reach my classroom, and  take sit in my chair.
I don't have any energy left. I can't process anything anymore. I still can't comprehend anything that happened a few minutes back between us.
I want to cry. I need Alex. I need him.

I startle at the sound of the bell. Fuck. 40 minutes are over? Like literally?

I don't lift my face up. I am sitting still in my position until the teacher leaves. I didn't even notice whose class it was. Wow.

"Hey, Anna you coming for the union next week. I know it's vacation. But i really hope that you will be joining us" Steph asks me lightly nudging with her elbow.

What? Vacation? Union? It's vacation already? I suddenly remember about the summer fall. Fuck.

I manage to lift my face up and smile at her news.

"I don't know actually, if I can make it to the union, i really don't want to upset you by promising something i myself am unsure about." I say to her.

"Oh okay then" she says and turns back to talk to someone.

I put my head down again. My head is killing me right now and it's impossible for me to put up a straight and normal face with this condition.

Unable to bear the pain I get up to take the medical leave.

I pick my bag up and walk out of the door to the caregiving room and wave at Mrs. Johnson.

"Hello, Anna. What brings you here today? You don't look good to me though. Are you okay?" she starts her usual pre decided set of questions to initiate a conversation.

" No actually.... my head is killing me, and i had a painkiller in the morning but nothing is helping. I tried taking a nap in class but nothing helped. If you can......can you please arrange for a medical leave for me? I think if I can sleep through, maybe I'll get better" I say emphasizing perfectly what my intention is.

"Okay. I'll see what I can do. Till then, you can rest here" she says and gets up to walk out of the room.

I know this would work. I know this has to work. I have never made any damn excuse to go home mid way. This had to work out.

I sit there....my nails make a light tapping sound on the table, and the only noise heard in the room is of the fan.

A few minutes pass by, and i start yawning at the emptiness of the room.....and myself.
My eyes start feeling heavy and i start drifting off to sleep again....

A minute or two , i suddenly hear her voice.

"Principal granted your medical leave. Here it is" she hands me over the permission letter.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Johnson" I say and get up and walk out of the room.

Okay. I need to go home