Chapter 43

What the fuck is he upto?
Most importantly why on earth is he being like this? Out of blue?

I try to process the movement of his lips on my foot, in front of my mother who is really not in a "too good"  mood.  He knows that I met him, he has guessed that maybe we guys have got back..... together..... again..... and yet? This?

He is still smiling at me. I look down once again before climbing off the counter. Ross moves simultaneously to offer me enough space to get down and stand, making sure I don't fall off on his shoulder.

The wound feels better though. The air isn't hitting in the open flesh anymore. The inflammation doesn't hurt that bad now.

"Darling can you come over and help me settle down the dishes on the table?" mom asks suddenly in a more .....quirky tone.

Ross startles a little bit but not enough for mom to notice his fidgeting fingers.

"Yes of course" Ross portrays the fake excitement in his voice and walks upto then opposite counter of the kitchen.

He takes in two plates served with white sauce pasta garnished with chicken Alfredo and walks to the table and settles them down. Mom comes with another plate containing sphagetti.

"Ross can you please bring over the bottle of juice? It's on the second shelf right door of the fridge." mom instructs him. 

Something is off in between them. This isn't their usual tone of conversation.

I take out the chair, opposite from where mom sitted herself. The smell issssss....
I drool over the Alfredo as usual.

Ross comes with the bottle and settles himself next to me. Wtf! Not again!
I glance over my shoulder, to find him smiling at me.

"So, Ross. What was the test you were talking about? Anna didn't mention to me about something like that." mom blurts out.

I look up  to find her staring at me.
Confused, i turn my head sideways and find him pretending to ignore the conversation and focus on the food.

Okay. That's another signal.

"Yeah i forgot. Sorry" I decide to play along.

I glance over my shoulders once more to find him beaming at me.

"So, Ross will be staying over to help you out?" mom asks.

"Yeah" I nod.

"Fine. You guys finish the dinner and go upstairs." She says almost in a ordering tone.

The rest of the dinner goes silent. Sounds of the spoon hitting the ceramic plate echoing over the hall.

After finishing the last bite of the macaroni, I get up with my plate and walk over to the basin. Ross follows me.

I wash my hands and turn to face him.

"Shall we?" Ross asks, lending his hands.

I ignore his hand and take the support of the counter and start walking slowly.

The pain isn't hitting me anymore, hence I am able to walk faster. It takes less than 10 minutes for me to reach my room which literally took more than 30 minutes when I came down.

I settle on the bed and sigh.

After a minute or two, I hear the door lock behind me.

Ross.