Requested: ~Hotel's Darkest Secrets~ Orrick Van Der Vegte

Mentions of suicide by the way

~-~

March 13th, 1757

Lara van der Vegte looked up from her book when she spotted a woman walking through the doors. She smiled and stood up straight. But her smile dropped when she noticed that it was her sister, Sanne. Lara knew how much Sanne wanted to see Orrick after he passed, but... he died last year on this exact same day. Today was his death anniversary. And it almost seemed like Sanne knew that since she looked very gloomy. Lara sat back down in her seat and continued to read her book. "I only want answers, Lara. Niets meer niets minder (nothing more nothing less)." Sanne placed a hand over Lara's that was laying on the desk. Lara opened her mouth to speak but shook her head. "Come on..." Sanne urged, pulling up a chair and sitting down beside her sister. "What happened? Tell me what you can. That's the only reason on why I came here." Lara's blue eyes were filled with tears. She ran a hand through her dirty blonde hair and took a shaky breath. She couldn't tell Sanne everything, she knew that much...

"After Orrick harmed all those visitors, he hated himself for it. He'd also been fighting this illness all his life. That's why he harmed all those people; to take out his anger on them. It was ruining him, making him do all those bad things. Orrick didn't want to live anymore..."

"Orrick?" Lara opened the bedroom door with a nervous look on her face. Orrick had been up there all day. He didn't even come downstairs when she asked him to. Empty. Lara raised a brow in suspicion. Usually Orrick would be in his bed sleeping or reading. Sometimes he'd even be looking out his window, watching people go by or watching the children run down to the shoreline and throw rocks into the water. Lara stepped into the room but kept the door open. When she turned the corner, she spotted Orrick sitting at his desk with a bloody shard of glass in his hand.

"Orrick! Wat heb je gedaan (What have you done)?! Orrick!"

"It was Orrick. He tried to kill himself. That's why I had to tell him the truth..."

"This sickness won't kill me, will it?"
"Course not! I think it will only stay for a little while."
"You said that last year."
"I know. But you have to have patience, Orrick."

"I admitted to him that it will eventually kill him. There was no cure to what he had. We still didn't know what it was either. Orrick didn't remember that conversation. He blocked it out. I knew the doctor had no explanation as well. After Orrick died, we buried him in the forest near our Inn. At times, I did think about killing him to get rid of his pain. I think that's where he found the glass too... I was going to put it in his food. I let my own son suffer in pain. It was my fault Orrick turned out the way he did. I thought the guilt would go away once I tried to kill him. I was wrong. It made it worse. I-..." Sanne leaned back in the chair. A horrified look on her face. Lara started playing with a strand of her hair as she continued. Her blue eyes stuck onto the portrait of Orrick that hung on the wall.

"I see Orrick sometimes. In my dreams, mostly. I still believe that Orrick's still in charge, even now. He's controlling this place in a way. Why don't you try asking him for a room?" Sanne jumped out of her seat when Lara slammed her book closed. Orrick's diary...
"You killed him..?" Lara shook her head. Her head tilted back as she leaned back in her chair in a tired manner. "He died in his sleep... I think. One of our maids went to wake him up, but his eyes never fluttered open." Sanne watched a few tears slide down Lara's face.

"Everyone missed him. Even Vilde... she was so sweet to him."