𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟎𝟏

『••SOPHIA••』

I knew my day was going to be bad when I found out we had no strawberries left at home.

Technically, it was my fault since I went grocery shopping and forgot to buy them but I also thought that we already had strawberries at home.

Instead of cursing over the fact I can't have strawberries for my breakfast on the first day of school after summer break, I took a deep breath and went with a peanut butter sandwich.

I pushed past my anger and gave myself a pep talk that the day was yet to start and it would be better.

I should've taken the sign that my day wasn't going to get better when I stepped into gum while on my way to the bus stop and had to run to catch my bus because that stupid gum won't scrape off my shoe.

Although, I'll admit it. Not having strawberries for breakfast and stepping into gum is nothing compared to what I walked into see in my mathematics class.

This is a joke.

Every year, our mathematics teacher- Ms Tessa makes a seating arrangement chart and makes sure everyone follows it. She says she makes those charts based on our previous class performance and chooses what's best for us.

The seating chart always separates those two girls who are always talking instead of paying attention, a couple who can't keep their hands to themselves and a group of jocks who are loud as fuck when they're seated together.

Everyone in the class hates Ms Tessa because of this chart. I've never had a problem with it.

Until today.

Why would she do this? Why?- I've never done anything wrong to her. I'm a good student. I'm punctual, obedient, attentive and get the highest grades in her class.

I've been staring at this chart for 10 minutes- not believing my eyes. Most students have already seen their spot, groaned in annoyance and walked away but I haven't moved a bit.

This can't be happening.

I hear someone say, "she's probably pissed because she's not sitting in the front row."

I force myself not to roll my eyes.

Yes, it's true that I'm not sitting in the front row but that's not why I'm pissed.

I'm pissed because the person who's supposed to sit beside me is the last person I want to sit with.

"Isn't this a surprise?"

Speak of the devil.

"We're seatmates."

Even though I'm not looking at him, I can tell he has his stupid grin plastered on his face.

I close my eyes, take a deep breath before I let myself speak, "this is a mistake."

"Oh, no. Ms Tessa never makes a mistake." He says, truthfully, "you should know that, genius."

That stupid nickname.

I turn on my heel so I can face him.