𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟐𝟏

【••SOPHIA••】

The dinner didn't go as I expected it to.

Was I expecting father to bring up my past relationship? Yes.

Was I expecting Jameson to tell my father that he had no right blaming the fall out on me? No.

Was I glad that he did? Yes.

The only comfort from the dinner was that Jameson was holding my hand under the table while my hand was shivering. The warmth from his hand went through my body and I suddenly wanted him to wrap his arms around me.

He didn't leave my hand till we reached the car and we had to get in.

After that little conversation, no one was in the mood of doing anything. Father started talking about Alan's achievements and asked him questions but Alan seemed pissed.

I've been holding back tears since dinner. I haven't spoken a word because I'm scared I might burst into tears. My throat is aching from the tears stuck in it. I know my eyes are glistening with tears.

The silence in the car is unsettling. Jameson's jaw is still clenched, his grip on the steering is tight enough that his knuckles are white. I want to ask him if he's okay but I'll leave that to text.

I'm playing with my rings. I don't want to look up and make the mistake of Jameson seeing my teary eyes.

Round. Round. Round. Round. Round.

I rest my head against the car window as I turn the ring in my finger.

How do you know our relationship will last for 2 months?

That was the duration of her last relationship.

I close my eyes at the memory.

Not right now. Save the tears for later.

The car stops and the engine dies. I open my eyes and look out the window.

There are several cars parked beside ours in a line-

Wait, we're in a parking lot.

I frown and look around.

This isn't my apartment's parking lot.

I turn to Jameson. He takes off his tie and tosses it in the back seat.

"Where are we?" I ask almost too quietly.

He ignores my question and asks, "what do you want to eat?"

"Nothing."

He hums then opens his car door, getting out, "I'll be right back." He says before he shuts the door leaving me in the car.

I watch his back from his car window as he walks further away from the car, his hands tucked in his pockets. He crosses the street and walks into a restaurant.

When he disappears from my sight, I sit back in my chair, staring at my hands.

Everything from earlier hits me suddenly. The ache in my throat increases. My vision blurs because of unshed tears.

It was sad to know my daughter couldn't keep the relationship healthy.

You can't blame the fall out of that relationship on Sophia.

I squeeze my eyes shut to stop the tears but one escapes my eye. My lips quiver.

you are sure your relationship is a committed relationship?

Yes

I give in.

As soon as a sob escapes my mouth, tears follow right after. I bury my hands into the palms of my hands as sob after sob leaves my mouth.