𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟑𝟏

【••SOPHIA••】

I don’t remember the last time I was scared for our Sunday night with father.

Have I ever been nervous before? Yes. But scared? No.

I was always nervous about what he’d ask me during our dinner. I was nervous when I was going to break the news of mine and Peter’s break up, I was nervous to tell him about Jameson, I was nervous when he met Jameson.

But I was never scared.

Not until tonight.

From the moment I woke up this sunday, I knew one thing that was going to happen. I was going to get a nightmare tonight.

Why? Because tonight, Jameson will not be calling me. The voices in my head won’t shut up and the old nightmares will come.

“Are you okay?” Alex asks as we make our way towards the dining area.

“Yes, why?”

“You look disturbed and mom mentioned that you’ve stayed locked up in your room this past week.”

That is because I am trying to distract my mind from thinking about the possibility of me falling for my fake-boyfriend.

I’ve been avoiding him for 4 days and I am one hundred percent sure that he’s pissed.

Maybe that’s good. This way I’ll be able to walk away more easily.

An ache forms in my chest.

It always does when I think about walking away from Jameson.

How did this even happen?

“I’m fine.” I say quietly before me and Alan part ways to sit on the opposite side of the table.

Alan sends me a worried glance after I take my seat. I need to make sure I don’t look at my brother or I might just end up telling him everything.

The next few minutes pass by without any conversation.

Suddenly, Father speaks.

“Are you still with him?”

It takes me a second to realize he’s talking to me about Jameson.

Without looking up at him, I say, “yes.”

Father hums. I take a bite of my food and chew silently wondering if he will ask further questions.

He does.

“How long are you planning on staying with him?”

I look up at him, frowning, “I don’t understand…”

He sighs, “I do not like that young man.”

“Why?”

“He’s disrespectful.”

“He’s not.”

At my quick response, both my father and my brother stop eating and look at me. However, while my  brother has a mixture of shocked and proud expression on his face, my father is wearing no expression. Which could either mean he’s angry or disappointed.

“Excuse me?” father says.

“I think you misunderstood, father. Jameson is a very respectful and kind person. I don’t-”

“He talked back to me at dinner.”

“He didn’t like that you were blaming the fall of my last relationship on me.”