𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟓𝟎

【••JAMESON••】

The doctors refused to tell us anything until the surgery was done. For every passing second, I felt suffocated. I couldn’t see her, the doctors won’t let me. I didn’t know how she was feeling. I couldn’t talk to her. It made the situation worse.

Alan told Eva, Anna and Liv to go over to Laura's and tell her about Sophia’s accident. Ethan came to the hospital a few minutes after Alan talked to Liv. He was with Liv at the time of the call and came here after dropping her off to Laura’s along with Anna.

Laura didn’t take the news well. She’s been calling me and Alan, wanting to come here but right now, her mental health isn’t stable for her to come here.

The sound of footsteps brings me out of my thoughts.

I lift my head when the doctor reaches Alan. We all stand in alert.

“Is everything alright?” Alan asks.

I don’t know why but the doctor takes longer than needed to nod and say, “yes. The surgery was a success.”

No one releases a breath of relief, sensing the next words out of the doctors’ mouth won’t be the best.

“However, due to the loss of blood, she has fallen into a coma.” the thumping of my heart increases and the doctors continues, “we’re shifting her to the ICU right now.”

“When will she wake up?” the question leaves my mouth before I could think it over.

The doctor looks at me, a twinge of sadness etching his expression, “we don’t know. These next 24 hours will determine whether or not she will be able to wake up.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I almost yell at the doctor.

Ethan grabs my arm tightly, “calm down.” he says it quietly for only me to listen. I release a small breath but it doesn’t loosen the knot in my chest.

_______

I stand by the glass which overlooks the ICU room in which Sophia was shifted. Her body lays unconscious on the bed with the monitor attached to her body which shows her heart rate.

She’s okay. She’s alive.

I don’t know how long it has been since I've been standing here but I remember Alan calling Laura and telling her about Sophia’s condition.

Ethan stood with me for a while until Liv called her and he walked away to fill her in.

No matter what, I can’t move from my place. The thought of tearing my eyes away from her brings an excruciating ache in my chest.

My throat feels clogged, my surroundings are suffocating.

I need her. I need to touch her, to hear her voice. I want her to tell me she’s alright, I want her to wake up and look at me. I’ll take her glares if only she wakes up.

A movement happens in my sight and my body freezes.

She moved her hand…

“What?”

Alan and Ethan appear beside me. I might’ve said it a little loud.

“She moved her hand.” I repeat and hold my breath, hoping for her to do something again. To give me a sign that I wasn’t hallucinating her sudden move.

A moment passes then another.

Then her hand trembles. The movement is barely noticeable. My eyes quickly land on her face.

Slowly, she opens her eyes.

The breath I’ve been holding since I caught her movement leaves me, “she’s awake.”

Alan and Ethan rush to get the doctor while I stay rooted in place keeping my eyes on her as if she’ll vanish if I look away.

She weakly blinks at the ceiling.

She’s awake. She’s okay.

As if feeling my gaze, her head turns towards me.

Her eyes clash with mine and everything around me vanishes. The sounds, the place and I keep staring into her eyes.

Till she closes them again.