𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟐𝟗

【••SOPHIA••】

“Sophia.”

I turn around at Nessa’s voice. She’s standing with her arms crossed against her chest, her purse hung over her shoulder. Her fury filled eyes staring into my relaxed one.

“Can I help you?” I ask.

“What are you trying to do?”

“Get to class.”

Her nostril flares, “I meant with Jameson.” I raise my eyebrow in question, “I know you’re dating him so people start liking you. Just so you know, they never will. This whole school knows how much of a fucking loner you are. Jameson is pity dating you and you know it.”

Her words are like a dagger to my heart. Even though I know our relationship is fake, I can’t help but let the unsettling feeling set in my stomach.

I make sure not to show it on my face.

Jameson isn’t dating me at all, I know he doesn’t like me and I’m fine with it.

Then why does my heart hurt at the truth?

I blame our recent hang outs. We've been hanging out a lot lately and that is not what was supposed to happen. Meeting each other's family was fine to put up the act but other than that? Everything we do out of school or things we do alone? Just No. That will make our agreement complicated.

Jameson is a kind person. He is kind to everyone, that’s what he’s doing. He’s being kind to me when taking me out to hang out. He's being kind when he is attentive while I'm talking-

He almost kissed you.

But he didn't.

When I don’t say anything to Nessa’s comment, her jaw clenches.

“I don’t care what the students here think of me,” I start, “me and Jameson kept our relationship private because of the whispers going around in the school.” Nessa’s face turns pale, “I don’t care if you all don’t like me. The only reason Jameson had to reveal our relationship was because you wouldn’t leave him alone.” the words form itself and leave my mouth.

“You.. you two were already dating?”

No. “yes.”

Nessa opens her mouth to say something but shuts it when an arm drapes itself over my shoulder.

Jameson.

The scent of his cologne tickles my nose and I suddenly feel warm with his arm around me. Safe.

That’s not good.

“What did I miss?”

“Nothing.” Nessa smiles at Jameson and I suddenly have the urge to punch that smile off her face.

You have no right to be jealous.

I’m not jealous.

“Okay, well, do you mind? We have to get to class.” Jameson says.

Nessa’s smile fades away, “sure.” with a glare thrown my way, Nessa leaves.

“Arm. Off.”

Jameson removes his arm at my command.

I want the comfort back.

Shut up.

I turn to face him.

“What did she say?” he asks.

I shut my locker as I say, “she thinks you’re pity dating me and that I’m dating you because I want everyone to like me.”