𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟏𝟕

【••SOPHIA••】

I've never been good at taking care of people. I always panicked when mom got sick so my call would go to Alan or Eva.

I hated how useless I was. Aside from studies, I didn't know shit about the world.

When I noticed Jameson was sick- really sick- I knew this much that he had to go home but as stubborn as he is, he didn't listen.

I should've left him. If he didn't want to go then so be it and besides Ethan was with him, if he had gotten sicker, Ethan would've taken care of him.

So what came over me that I didn't get on my bus? Instead, I turned and rushed towards the gym to talk to Coach Caleb.

"Where are your keys?" I ask as we reach the school's parking lot.

"I can drive." Jameson's voice was raspy and hoarse from his sickness.

"Your eyes are watering, I don't want to die in the same car as you." Jameson rolled his eyes at my comment but winced because of the headache. "Jameson, keys please."

With a sigh, he took out his keys from his bag and handed it to me as we made our way around his car. I hopped into the driver's seat and pulled out of the school parking lot while Jameson typed out his address into the GPS on his phone.

I take a quick glance at Jameson. His eyes are closed, his head is resting on the seat's headrest, he's taking small breaths to calm himself.

I fix my eyes back on the road and continue to drive in silence. The only sound present inside is the sound of our breaths and the voice of directions.

I already sent a quick text to Liv saying I'll be late and when I told her the reason, I got multiple smirk face emojis as well as a 'I hope he gets well soon.' text

I take a right into a street as the direction shows. We enter a neighborhood, the streets of the neighborhood aren't packed, kids are playing in their yards, some couples are walking on the sidewalk.

I pull into the driveway of a two-story grey and brown house and turn to Jameson as he opens his eyes and looks out the window.

Without a word, we both take off our seatbelts and get out of the car. I grab my bag and walk beside Jameson as he drags himself towards the door. While he takes out his house keys from his bag, I look around the porch. There are two black chairs placed against the wall, above the chairs, there’s a window from which you can see the kitchen.

I look at Jameson when I hear an annoyed groan from him. Because of his watery vision, he can’t get the key inside the lock.

I gently take the keys from him, unlock the door, throw it open and let Jameson drag himself in.

When he realizes I didn’t walk in with him, he turns and says, “aren’t you going to come in?”

“No, thanks.” I say. Jameson stares at me for a while. I hand him his keys, he takes it, “remember to take your medicine.”

Jameson hums as he stares at his keys, “I’ll call you an uber-”

“Don’t.” he looks up, “I’ll call it myself.”

“You drove me here, let me pay for it at least.” his tired eyes don’t leave my face.

“You paid for the dinner-”

“It was on me.”

“Right.” I lower my gaze at my shoes, none of us says anything nor does any one of us move.

I should go. Why am I not leaving?

I look up at Jameson again to find his eyes waiting, “I’ll leave now.”