𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝟐𝟖

【••JAMESON••】

"What do I get?" I ask after I put the tray of cookies on the counter beside Sophia.

I rest my elbow on the counter and lean on it as I look at Sophia.

She smiles then looks up at me, "what do you want?"

A real date where I can make you laugh and you make my chest explode with that beautiful sound. A real kiss where I lose my mind and tell the whole world that you're mine?

I open my mouth to answer but our attention goes towards the door when we hear it unlock.

"Sophia, I'm back." A woman from the door says.

Sophia hops off the counter, I straighten myself. Sophia's mom walks in and stops on her tracks when she sees me.

"Oh, hello Jameson." She says with a sweet smile.

I give her a smile in return, "Good afternoon, Ms Myers."

Her eyes land on the cookies, "I wasn't expecting dessert to be made." She looks at Sophia with a smile.

"Um, uh, I thought it'd be a good idea." Sophia says, laughing nervously after.

Sophia's mom looks back at me, "thank you for helping her out, Jameson."

"Anything for your daughter." I reply.

Sophia turns her head towards me, raising an eyebrow. I glance at her and wink.

"That's very sweet of you." Her mom says, taking both of our attention towards her, "would you like to join us for dinner tonight? Alan and Eva are coming as well, you'll meet the family."

"Oh, uh-" I look at Sophia for a hint.

She turns to her mom and just when I think she's going to refuse for me, she says, "he'll come."

"That's great, then." Her mom says, smiling, "I look forward to seeing you at dinner."

"Can't wait." I say.

"I'll leave you two now." With a quick glance towards her daughter, Sophia's mom leaves.

"I thought you were going to refuse." I say when Sophia turns towards me.

"Well, you still haven't healed from the dinner at father's place. This dinner will heal you, just like Alan said." She says with a smile.

"Should I wear a suit?"

She chuckles, "no. Casual is fine."

"Should I bring roses? For your mom?"

"Are you trying to win her heart?"

I grin, "yes."

"Careful, Gray. The news of us breaking up better not break my mother's heart."

An ache forms in my chest, the grin of my face slowly fades.

"Time?" I ask.

"8:30"

I nod, "see you tonight, genius."

"You too."

I walk out of the apartment without another word.

As soon as I close the door behind me, Sophia's words repeat in my head.

Careful, Gray. The news of us breaking up better not break my mother's heart.

Worry not, there won't be any break up in the first place.