Chapter 1

I have like 7 chapters of this book already written so here's the first one. I plan on updating every Tuesday.

*Grace's P.O.V*

I looked around my empty dorm room, taking in everything. The dirty green curtains that were hung up to block out some of the light, the old carpet floor that had a few more stains than it had when I first moved in. The walls were still the same boring white color with just a few more holes in them from pictures that had been hanging. The only thing left hanging up was a mirror since everything else had been packed up.

My hair had just been pulled back with a headscarf that was a bright yellow color because it complimented my outfit of a yellow dress and tights. The color just went so well with my dark brown skin that it was one of my favorite colors for outfits.

As to why I had pulled my hair back with a scarf, I couldn't decide on what hairstyle I was going to do next. I had thought about maybe doing crochet braids or maybe passion twists. For now though I was just leaving it as it was since I loved my curls.

I look down when a blue ball rolls across the floor, bumping into my foot. My roommate had been finding all these old bouncy balls that she had lost over the past three years and was now trying to pass them off to me. She used them to study, bouncing the ball a different amount of times to help her memorize her study sheet. She obviously wasn't allowed a bouncy ball in class or when testing but she said the hand motions helped her think.

"Grace, I can't believe you're leaving me," Ashley says she bounces another ball towards me. I caught it, underhandedly tossing it back to her. She fumbles to grab it but snags it right before it could bounce into the hallway. Her words give me pause for more than one reason.

I was still in disbelief that I had already graduated. The past three years had been amazing but I was glad to be done with my degree in business administration. The classes had been as boring as they sounded but that was okay, I had expected that. I mean who didn't expect classes to be boring?

Plus this place had become a second home of sorts. The place I came back too after a day of horrible classes that made me want to drop out. The place I had curled up in bed for a week when my boyfriend had broken up with me. I shook my head, trying to bring myself back to the present and not think about the memories that were trying to surface in my mind.

"I'm going home Ash. Maybe then my mom will stop making me call her everyday," I laugh as I close up my backpack. It was easy to stuff my clothes into there, fitting my laptop behind it as well as the charger for it and my phone.

"Don't count on that, your mom will probably make you call if you even leave the house for a minute," Ashley teases. "I don't know why but something tells me that she misses you," she says.

"I know, I think so too," I roll my eyes with a small smile. I glance at myself in the mirror one more time, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear as I move my backpack to sit next to my suitcase.

Ashley pops up behind me, wrapping her arms around my neck. She was a very affectionate person especially when people were trying to leave. She kisses my cheek, making me roll my eyes as I turn around to look at her. She was always so affectionate with people, more than one person had thought we were a couple.

"Don't leave me Gracie, this place is terrible," Ashley says as she rests her head on my shoulder. I chuckle as I hug her, looking down at her. It was nice to be taller than someone for once. I was only 5'5 which sounded quite average until you met everyone in my family who just had to be taller than me for some reason.

"Well if you would hurry up and finish your degree, it would not be so bad," I reply. A lot of people thought she was dumb because she was kind of ditzy at times but she was actually really smart! She was working on getting a degree in biomedical science so she was constantly busy with that. That meant I kind of got lonely sometimes! Now that I was finally going home though, I wouldn't have to worry about that as much.

My family was pretty tight knit. My eldest sister, Zahira, had only moved down the street from our parents. Elena, the middle child, had moved further away but only by a few blocks so there was a constant back and forth of people.

Since I was the youngest, I had rebelled a little more by choosing to go to school a lot farther away. A couple hundred miles didn't seem like a lot until you were at college and had no family to visit unless it was the holidays. Now it was a holiday of sorts! It was summer and I had graduated so I could finally go home.

My phone buzzed from where it was resting on my bed and I picked it up, noticing that it was a text from Zahira. It read 'I know you're probably busy with packing and stuff but just let me know when you get done. Is dad or mom picking you up?'.

Despite having a license, I never drove. I had a very bad fear of getting in a car accident so I rarely got behind the wheel of a car. I didn't plan on having either of my parents pick me up though, I just planned on taking a bus home and surprising my parents. They didn't know that though since they would probably freak out and drive all the way here just to stop me.