Chapter 40

*Grace's P.O.V*

"I mean it was an accident. Like when I discovered it. Zahira is the one who used it the most," Elena rambles and Zahira shoots her a dirty look. Mom glances at Zahira with a raised eyebrow.

"I only used it to see Oliver. Elena used it to go to parties," Zahira says and now Mom looks at Elena.

"Grace used it too! She would sneak out whenever we had family functions so she didn't have to talk to grandma and grandpa!" Elena says, making me shrink away as Mom looks at me.

"It wasn't just grandma and grandpa. Sometimes it was everyone. It's just grandma and grandpa are the one who talk so much and it's so overwhelming sometimes," I stammer an explanation as I see Mom's eyebrows furrow slightly as she gives me an understanding look. She knows how overwhelmed I get sometimes.

"Also I used it the least. Elena was using it every night," I say as I point to Elena who glares at me.

"It was in my room, of course I would be the one using it the most," Elena rolls her eyes. I try to wriggle my arm free from Mom's hold but she seems to know what I am doing and gives me a look that tells me to stop it. So I do, just for a moment so she'll let her guard down and I can escape.

"I do not understand why any of you girls were using a window to sneak out. All you had to do to be allowed to go places was tell us where you were going, how long you would be gone, and we had to know that you had a way to get home, a safe way," Mom states, giving Zahira a look since Zahira had been the one who had been more risky out of the three of us.

"Well none of the parties we went to were ones you would have let us. I mean, one was in an abandoned warehouse and we both know you would never allow any of us to go into one of those," Elena says, turning her head when Zahira gives her a dirty look.

"Is Mommy in trouble?" Jazmin asks and I can see why she thinks that. The look Mom is giving all three of us definitely screams that we are in trouble.

"Yes darling, your mommy is very much in a lot of trouble," Mom says and I kind of wish I could disappear. I mean it would be so easy to just disappear at this moment to escape the consequences but I also know that I sadly do not have the ability to disappear. Or else I would have left this conversation at the very beginning of it.

"Don't listen to nana, mommy isn't in trouble for things that she did a long time ago," Zahira says as she takes Jazmin out of Dad's arms. It's almost like she is using her as a shield from Mom's wrath....which in all honesty is brilliant. Maybe I should have a child for the same reason.

"Don't you dare have a child just to use them as a shield!" Mom scolds and I curse silently as I realize that I had spoken out loud.

"I was joking," I try to defend myself even though I had not been joking in the slightest. It still seems like a good idea, I mean raising a toddler can't be that hard! Maybe Mom would be too busy to hold me to any future punishments if there was another baby around. A worthwhile idea to consider.

"Shouldn't we be eating lunch?" Elena asks, trying to change the subject and I nod, giving her a thumbs up before remembering that I was mad at her for teasing me so I change it to a thumbs down.

"Fine, this conversation is continuing over lunch," Mom states and I wriggle my arm free, being the first one at the table since everyone else is moving like they're old. Well I mean Mom and Dad are old and Zahira is holding Jazmin but Elena could definitely have hurried to her seat.

"What have I told you about running?" Mom asks when I look over my shoulder to tell them to hurry up because I was hungry! She gives me a look and I slink down in my seat slightly at her look. I had forgotten about her getting onto me about running in the house yesterday.