Chapter 54

*Fami's P.O.V*

While talking with Elena, I notice that Grace is moving and squirming in her seat after a little bit, trying to get comfortable. "I have to take Grace home now. I don't want her napping in a booster seat all day plus if I can get her down for a nap in a real bed, it will be amazing," I say, earning a grin from Elena.

"Grace is not that bad at taking naps! You always say she never wants to sleep but when I went to visit her before her last trip home, she fell asleep cuddled up with me when we were watching spy kids!" Elena objects, clearly at least attempting to defend Grace's terrible sleeping habits.

"Because she had midterms that week and I know for a fact, because her friend, Ashley, told me that she was up almost all night, every night that week, cramming," I state, making Elena deflate slightly. She had clearly been trying to do her best to defend Grace which I thought was sweet.

"She never told me that," Elena mutters, more to herself than me.

"Because you know how Gracie is. She doesn't like telling anyone her problems. Even if that person is only trying to help, she fights it," I say.

"Now, I'm taking her home. You are welcome to follow me home or stay here and fish with your dad," I state.

"I would....but he's going to make me wear more sunscreen if I stay out here," Elena says as her nose wrinkles up at the thought. That's something that Grace has learned from her. It's a quick way for me to see how they're feeling so it's one of the few habits I don't mind them sharing. Although Grace usually did the nose wrinkle only when I tried to make her eat healthy.

"You need sunscreen Elena. You can still get cancer without burning," I start to say, earning a groan from her as she spins around to ignore me.

"I'll follow you home," Elena calls over her shoulder, cutting me off as she gets into her car and shuts the door before I can continue my talk. I find that incredibly rude but I'll just lecture her about her cutting me off later. She knew that though.

I get into the car, buckling my seatbelt as I glance back at Grace. Her thumb is in her mouth and she fits the booster seat almost perfectly. It kind of unnerves me, to see how tiny she is. We would definitely have to go to the doctor soon, to find the best way to get her back to a more normal weight.

I start the car, knowing that Matias won't be back home until it's dark outside. That man gets obsessive with his fishing, almost more obsessive than when he is working on a project. I swear there are still pieces of wood from his carvings in our bed sheets, despite him being told not to carve wood in our bed and despite the fact that I washed our bed sheets often.

Grace sleeps until we're pulling into the driveway, deciding that would be the perfect time to start waking up. I reach back to pat her leg, earning a small whine from her as she tries to turn her body away from me to get more comfortable. It doesn't work since she's in a booster seat, one that kind of restricts her movements so she proceeds to try and unbuckle herself.

"Grace, you're okay baby. Don't unbuckle yourself," I scold as I park, getting out of the car and going around. By the time I get to her side and open her door, she is very much back to fighting off sleep. I unbuckle her, lifting her up and resting her on my hip. She grumbles as she gets comfortable, burying her face into my shoulder as I pat her bottom.

"No!" Grace tries to shove my hand away, making me have to readjust my hold so I don't drop her.

"Calm down sweetheart. I don't want to drop you. I don't think your bottom would appreciate landing on the hard gravel over a few pats," I inform Grace, who fusses as she decides to go back to sleep. So moving her meant that she got to fuss all she wanted but as soon as she decided I was comfortable to lay on, she was drifting right back to sleep. Such typical baby behavior...