Chapter 44

*Grace's P.O.V*

Daddy catches some fish, some small fish I should say. They're not that big and Daddy says that means we have to let them go. I thought we were letting them all go, I mean that's what you did when you went fishing...right?

Daddy gets so distracted with his fish, he doesn't really care what I do with my fishing rod so I just keep walking side to side while holding it. It makes the line move which makes the water ripple. I get my fishing hook caught on something a few times but I always tug it free. I don't understand why Daddy likes this fishing stuff, it's very boring to me.

I start to reel my line in, having to sit down on my bottom to be able to reel it in. It must have a lot of those underwater plants on it for it to be this heavy. I reel it in, lifting it up as my fishing rod bends and there on the end of it is a big fishy!

He has whiskers that kind of stick out of his face and he's really ugly. I know I shouldn't say that because it's mean but he is all gray and slimy looking. I set him down on the dock, watching his body thrash and look at Daddy who is looking at me with wide eyes.

"How in the absolute fuck?" is all Daddy says which makes me glare at him. He knows Mommy doesn't like when he swears around me and yet he keeps doing it.

"He's my friend, I'm going to name him Jacob," I inform Daddy who moves to grab Jacob, sticking his fingers down the fish's throat and lifts him up.

"Well he is certainly big enough," Daddy mutters and I look at him with confusion.

"Big enough for what?" I ask in confusion, frowning when Daddy messes with the hook that is inside of Jacob. He's not being very gentle and that kind of upsets me.

"For dinner," Daddy says, making me bounce on my tippy toes.

"We're keeping him?" I ask. Daddy and Mommy had always been very picky about the animals brought home. I wince as I remember the one time I had brought home a racoon and subsequently my bottom and Mommy's hairbrush had become very acquainted. She was just mad that I said her and the raccoon had the same eyebags.

The only reason I had gotten the raccoon was because Mommy and Daddy made me take the trash out and so that was clearly their fault. If they hadn't made me take the trash out as part of my chores, I would have never met that raccoon or got a spanking.

"Grace, of course we're keeping him," Daddy says, making me smile. "He'll make a good dinner," is the next thing he says and that wipes the smile off of my face completely.

"What?" I ask quietly, looking at Daddy with wide eyes. Jacob was my friend, Daddy couldn't eat him.

"Grace, you love catfish," Daddy tries to say and I shake my head quickly at his words. Not anymore I don't, I decide that I hate catfish and will never eat it again at that very moment.

"I not eat Jacob," I inform Daddy, watching as he puts Jacob on a hook and sets him in the water. He can only swim a little far away and that makes me sad.

"Then I guess you can not eat dinner," Daddy states, giving me a serious look. Normally that would work, I don't like missing meals where we all get to sit together...but I also knew that Mommy would make sure I ate so I just gave him a blank look.

"He's my friend," I tell Daddy, stomping my foot when he shakes his head. Jacob was my friend! Why wouldn't Daddy just listen? I stomp my way down the dock, not caring that Daddy calls after me. Daddy could fish by his stupid self, he wasn't going to get me to help him fish anymore.

I make my way back to the truck, climbing into it and slamming the door. I don't care that it's super hot and that I'm going to be all sweaty in a little bit. I am mad at Daddy and the only way to show that is to take over things that are his space so he knows that I am ignoring him. I see his phone is in the cupholder and I smile when I see it light up.