Chapter 37

*Grace's P.O.V*

When I wake up the first time, it feels like the middle of the night from how dark it is. At first I can't remember where I am so my heart is beating rapidly in my chest, almost like it's trying to escape my chest. I get out of bed, my bare feet on the cold floor as I make my way out of the room, trying to calm down some.

I walk down the stairs, still in a sort of haze as I turn into another room in what feels like old habits. There's a light on in this room and it looks like a kitchen ahead. I stand there as I look around, trying to calm my heartbeat and feel the haze starting to fade. I know this place.

"Grace, what's wrong darling? Why aren't you in bed?" a familiar voice asks, sending a shock through me. I immediately feel arms wrap around me, holding me close. I try to fight at first before I slowly lean into it, closing my eyes slightly as today's events start to come back to me.

"Couldn't remember where I was, panicked," is all I can mutter as I turn to bury my face into my mom's shoulder. Her hand starts to rub my back as she uses her nails to scratch.

"Oh darling," Mom says as she hums softly, just letting me hide my face into the crook of her neck. I feel a little embarrassed but she was just so comforting. I nuzzle into her out of instinct as she continues humming softly, letting me just stay there.

"I'm fine now," I say after a little bit, pulling away. Mom looks down at me and based on the way she raises her eyebrow, she clearly doesn't fully believe me. It wasn't my fault that I had forgotten where I was, it was my stupid brain. Besides I really was fine, mostly anyways.

"I don't believe you. You know that I do not tolerate lies," Mom says and I huff slightly, turning my head slightly to hide my face. I bite my bottom lip lightly as she chuckles so she clearly isn't too mad at me for lying.

"I am mostly fine now," I say after a moment as I play with the edge of her nightgown sleeve. She hums slightly but lets me play with her sleeve anyways.

"How did you even know I was up? Isn't it the middle of the night?" I eventually ask, puzzled. This time it's her turn to look away, avoiding the question.

"Mom? What did you do?" I ask, glaring at her. I know that look. It always means I won't like the answer she's about to give. My confirmation in my theory is a sigh from her.

"I put a baby monitor in your room. It alerted me when you got out of bed. I came to see why." She tells me.

"Mom!! Seriously!?" Is all I can yell in response to her confession.

"See? This is why I didn't want to tell you!" She says, making me cross my arms and glare at her.

"It's getting removed tonight! I don't want or need a baby monitor in my room!" I tell her, continuing my glaring.

"Sorry, Grace, but no. It stays. Because it's late and I don't want to have this argument right now, I'll agree with you. I need it in your room though so it stays." She says while her hand shots up to rest a finger on my opened mouth to shush me as she continues.

"I need to know you are sleeping well and don't need me. What happens if you have an accident and need my help cleaning it up? What if you have a nightmare and are too afraid to move or go back to sleep? What if you just can't sleep? I need to know these things aren't happening or I can't sleep, Grace, so it stays... for me. It's only on when you should be fast asleep anyway so you still have plenty of opportunity to hide things from me in your room." She tells me, kissing my forehead with a smirk. When I don't respond, she continues...

"Yes, I was young once too, dear. I know why you are against it. Again, you should be sleeping. So if it's on and you are doing anything else, you will quickly find yourself with other things to worry about. Now, are you hungry?" Mom asks. My stomach growls before I can respond. I hesitantly nod after a moment since I can't lie now that she already knows that I am hungry by now. I also decide this topic isn't worth the argument. I'll just find the stupid thing and turn it off!