Chapter 75

*Grace's P.O.V*

Mommy takes forever to pick up. I swear I'm just about to be forced to hang up so I don't have to leave a voicemail when a very frantic mommy finally answers my call. As soon as she does though, I realize the stupidity of what I am doing and freeze up.

"Grace? What's wrong? Are you hurt? Did something happen? Are you in trouble? In danger? Do I need to leave? I'll go get your father! We are on our way, baby! I knew it was too early to leave you like this! Don't worry, we will be there before you know it!" Mommy says in one giant, out of breath, breath. I shake my head at her, just kind of mumbling before remembering I'm on the phone and she can't see me.

"No... not that." I almost whisper into the phone to her.

"It's not what, baby? And speak louder, please. It's very loud here and hard to understand you over the phone when you speak like that." Mommy says, sounding more worried than frantic now.

"No need mommy. Mommy can stay." I tell her and start nibbling on my bottom lip in the silence that follows.

"Please stop chewing on your lip, baby. You know I hate when you do that." Mommy eventually says and I can't help but stomp my foot at her. Why can't I chew it? It's not like I have a paci!

"And don't stomp your foot at me, young lady. I left you pacifiers for a reason. If you need or want one, go dig through your bag. You have no reason to hurt your lip by chewing on it." Mommy says, making my mouth hang open! Not only can she see me through the phone, but she can read my mind too? That's it, mommy must really be magic!

"Now, why did you call, baby? I assume it wasn't because you just missed me... I can never be so lucky," Mommy asks, reminding me where and what I am doing right now.

"Can't get paci..." I tell mommy, afraid to tell her why and hoping she will just read my mind again.

"Why can't you? Are you afraid someone will make fun of you? Because..." Mommy starts to say before I cut her off with a humph and foot stomp. Why can she only read my mind when I don't want her to!?

"Grace..." Mommy drags out my name in that warning tone she likes to use when I'm on thin ice. Taking a audible gulp, I finally answer her

"No... trouble..." I finally admit to Mommy.

"... you're in trouble, baby? What kind of trouble? Like mommy needs to come help trouble or your getting punished trouble?" Mommy asks, sounding slightly concerned again.

"... time... timeout, mommy." I admit, slumping against the wall. I hate telling mommy I've been bad but I also can't keep it from her. She probably already knows anyway, with her mommy magic. It only seems to tell her when I've been naughty, afterall.

"Time... Out? Why are you in timeout? Did Zahira put you there?" Mommy asks, sounding more concerned than mad.

"Yes... bad." I tell mommy, hoping that answers all her questions and we can move on.

"You were bad? What exactly made Zahira put you in timeout, Grace?" Mommy asks and I really don't want to answer this but I know I have to.

"Listening... didn't listen. Wouldn't remove overalls..." I tell her, causing mommy to go silent for a moment.

"What do you mean? Why did she need you to take off your overalls? Why did you refuse? Zahira has seen you in less clothes than a t-shirt and... pullup. It was the pullup, wasn't it? You didn't want Zahira to see you in a pullup. Was that why, baby?" Mommy asks, finally figuring it out.

"Maybe..." I tell mommy, embarrassed as I feel my cheeks heating up already.

"Grace... you called me. Enough with the games and answer my questions or I'm hanging up and coming to you." Mommy snaps, making me immediately stand up properly in timeout and nearly drop my phone.