Chapter 23

*Grace's P.O.V*

We arrive at the table a lot quicker than I would like. I feel like I am just getting comfortable when I'm placed down at the table, in my spot, against my will. Looking around, I quickly realize it's not actually my spot... it's the spot no one wants to sit at! The spot right next to my mother's usual spot! Trying to get up to change spots, I feel a hand on my shoulder push me back down.

"Sit, Grace. This is your spot now. Get up again without asking and you will find yourself strapped back into that booster seat." I hear mom threaten. Feeling shy now that dad is here, listening, I sit back down without complaint. Even if he wasn't here, I still wouldn't want to be sitting in the booster again but it's even worse with him here.

What is he doing that makes it so much worse? Nothing! Nothing at all! He's just here... eating. He isn't even looking at me or mom. It's like he is in his own little world. I don't know what mom has or hasn't told him though and I'm not about to start sharing what has been happening with him. No way am I doing that!

Once mom is satisfied that I'm going to stay sitting and not try to change spots again, she finally takes her seat and slides our plates closer. Looking down, I breathe a sigh of relief seeing it's on a normal plate, with normal utensils. I even have a big girl cup! No... that's not right... I meant it's a normal cup and not a sippy cup.

Looking at my parents again, I see dad already looks like he is half way down his meal and mom has started eating hers, without caring what I'm doing. Realizing I'm getting anxious over nothing and it's mainly in my head, I start eating too. It's a simple meal of chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and mac and cheese but it's good. Everything my mom makes is good and I always forget how much I missed it until I am eating it again.

I can't help but notice when I'm about a quarter done with my meal, my dad finishes his plate and my mom is about half way done hers. Now done with his food, my dad starts telling my mom about his day as she eats. It's just random things I don't really care about. I don't think my mom really cares either because it seems like she is barely paying attention. She just keeps saying things that let him know she is listening while she continues eating but I think they barely count as a response. My dad just keeps talking anyways.

When I'm about halfway done with my food, my mom finishes her plate. I know I am a slow eater but I didn't think I was this slow... or are they just fast? Done with her food, my mom starts cleaning the table off by taking all the dishes to the sink to be washed. The whole time my mom is cleaning, my dad is continuing to talk to her. The only difference is my mom is now contributing to the conversation more. Some of her questions feel random though. That is until I realize they are questions related to things he said earlier in their conversation that tie into their current topic.

My mom eventually sits back down once done with her cleaning and it's at this point I start to feel left out of their conversation. It feels so effortless for them to fill the silence and I have no idea how to jump into their dynamic to take part. It doesn't help that I am now the only one eating and it feels like I'm being ignored by them. With almost 75 percent done and most of that being the green beans, I push the plate away from me, too full to eat anything else and planning to join the conversation one way or another.

Instead of taking my plate, my mom gets back up and comes back with a wet wipe, washing my face and hands off with it. Then I find my plan to be done eating is short lived and very one-sided as I find myself lifted out of my chair, spun, and forced to sit back down... onto my mother's lap! When I open my mouth to protest, I find a fork full of food all of a sudden in my mouth. It's even the disgusting green beans I was avoiding eating! Having no choice now, I accept the food, chew it, and swallow. Trying again with my protests about being on her lap... not to mention, in front of dad... it happens again! My mom sticks a fork full of food in my mouth, right as I open it. She wasn't even holding the food a second ago. Believe me, I checked!

She then holds my cup to my mouth and makes me drink from it. I tried to refuse the drink but instead of going in my mouth, it ran down my chin making my mom remark how this would be easier and less messy with one of Jazmin's cups. That made me accept the juice real quick. It also made me glance at my dad to see him meet my eyes and smile at me gently while continuing the conversation.

To make the matter worse, they don't even seem to be paying attention to me when she is doing this. She is still holding a conversation with my dad and actually leading the conversation this time around. While my dad is acting like I'm not even on her lap or like this is normal. This whole treatment of me being fed is like a thoughtless habit to them... it's like it's a normal day.

What annoys me most is she isn't even looking at me but my dad, yet she never lets me keep an empty mouth if I open it for a second! She even keeps wiping my face every time I so much as get a crumb on it. I know she threatened me with this but I thought I could put up more of a fight if it actually came to this. I just can't find a way to do it! I tried hiding my face but she just patiently waited for me to unhide and I was immediately given another bite of food the first opportunity I gave her by opening my mouth.

"I'm... soo... fulllll..." I groan, leaning against my mom. Realizing I actually spoke instead of having food put in my mouth, I look down and see I actually finished my food. My plate is actually empty.

"Your stomach isn't used to normal portions, baby, so it tells you it's full before it actually is. It will take time but it won't be so difficult in a week or two. I'm more than happy to help you finish like this until then. I'm proud of you for finishing your food though, baby." Mom tells me, lifting my face from her chest to clean it off and inspecting it for any missed spots before letting go. I immediately hide it, happy that I made her proud but also very embarrassed over the praise. I think she knows it because she lets me be, massaging my back to comfort me.

"Thanks, mom." I eventually say into her.

"Who?" She asks, fake confusion in her voice. When I don't respond, she continues...

"Who is this mom you speak of? Surely that wasn't addressed to me..." Mom says, continuing her fake confusion but fooling no one.

"Thank you, mom...my." I whisper mumble into her, too shy and embarrassed for anything else. Just the thought of daddy hearing me...

"Speak up, baby. We can barely understand you. You know how hard of hearing your daddy is." Mommy says, bouncing me slightly on her knee.

"Oh, let her be Fami. You said you wouldn't force her to use it and she did say it, if that smile on your face means what I think it does. You need to slow it down before you scare our poor little Gracie away again. She just got back and you are already almost inseparable from her." Daddy answers her for me, making mommy hold me tighter. Almost like she fears daddy stealing me from her. He can try but I'll always prefer mommy! Stupid El can keep daddy!

"I just don't see the point in her being embarrassed over you being here. You are her daddy, for goodness sake! I'm not about to sit here and entertain this thought that you don't already know everything she is embarrassed over you finding out. She is not my child but ours, Matias. She needs to come to grips that you will be taking part in her childish treatment... at the very least, around to see it because I am not even going to entertain the thought of even attempting to hide her punishments from you." Mommy says and I'm tempted to try to hide under the table. I can feel both their gazes on me and it only makes my embarrassment worse! It doesn't help that being bounced is making it almost impossible to find a spot to hide in. Why does mommy always have to be so mean!?