Chapter 3

*Grace's P.O.V*

"Oh... why did I call you, again..." my mother... asks me?

"Are you asking me that? Cause I..." I start to tell her before being cut off.

"No... why would I ask you? I'm clearly not talking to you so I don't appreciate the smart remarks. I can only imagine who taught them to you.." She tells me. I can imagine the glare she is giving my father and it makes me chuckle thinking about how he has no idea why.

"I assume it has something to do with Zahira and Elena, mom... if that helps..." I say, trying to get this conversation back on track and over with. I really don't want to be caught right now.

"Zahira and Elena... Zahira and Elena... oh, that's right... Why are you being mysterious with them? It's obvious you are hiding something... and don't you dare lie to me again, young lady. I know you aren't out to eat with any friends. I know what that sounds like and it's not that noise I hear... plus, Ashley always jumps into the call by now." My mom informs me.

"What? Are you going to tell me she doesn't want to talk to me right now? Or is it because she is too busy to yell hi? Better yet... hand her the phone... go on... tell her I want to talk to her... I'm sure she won't refuse... that is if she is actually there with you..." she continues saying, catching me red handed in my lie.

"Fine... let's say she is busy eating or whatever this entire time... what restaurant are you at? What are you having? Come on... this isn't rocket science... tell your mother what food you are eating... you are at the restaurant, right? Just look down and tell me what you see..." She continues, not letting up at all. At this point I am sweating bullets, afraid I'm going to have to admit to my surprise this close to pulling it off. Knowing she isn't going to stop until I confess, I give her what she wants to hear.

"I can't... I'm not out to eat, mom... Ashley isn't with me right now..." I confess, hoping it will buy me enough time to think of something else.

"That's obvious, Grace..." she says and I can almost hear the eye rolling in her tone.

"So where are you really, Grace? No more lying or it's your heinie that's going to pay when I come pick you up. You know how I feel about lies..." she warns me and I know she means it. She has always had zero forgiveness for lying.

"My money is on a party... Grace? Definitely not... you or Elena and I would take that bet... the amount of times you two called me for a ride... Excuse me? When exactly were you picking our daughters up from parties and not telling me about it?" I barely hear almost as background noise through the phone. I guess Elena and dad, by the sound of it, started talking about the past, forgetting mom didn't know about it? Who knows, at least the heat is off me for a bit... what did she say again? I was at a party?

Me? Party? Dad was definitely right... I do not party. They are stupid and loud. So loud... I hope they don't tell mom I'm the reason she never found out. She was always sleeping with me when dad would go pick them up and he would come steal her back when he was done. I liked to snuggle with her so I enjoyed it... plus, who doesn't like tricking their parent? Anyway, it was a win, win in my books and... why am I thinking about this right now. I need to figure out what I am doing to cover up this bus ride!

"I... I'm at a party!" I end up blurting out, flustered.

"What was that, Grace? I was busy scolding your sister and father... apparently the only one I can trust around here is my little grandchild, Jazmin. At least she tells me the truth..." my mom says, sounding kind of hurt.

"I'm... at a party... is what I said..." I repeat to her.

"A party, you say... It seems pretty quiet over there for a party..." my mom says, finding the fault in my lie from the very beginning.

"I'm... in a room... by myself... I stepped away when you called... I wouldn't be able to hear you if I stayed with the crowd. If you... listen hard enough... you might... be able to hear the party?" I ask more than tell her. Why am I so bad at lying!

"A party you say... I guess I can kind of hear it... fine. That doesn't explain why you needed to lie about it though... why couldn't you just tell us you had a party? Why keep it a secret? I can understand from me but I don't understand why you kept it from your sisters..." my moms says, sounding perplexed.

"I... it's just embarrassing... it's my first party... and last... I didn't want them... making a big deal about it... I guess. I wanted... it just felt better... as a secret... Are you mad?" I ask, hoping me lying wasn't too obvious with my pausing to think.

"No, Grace... I'm not mad. Just disappointed you thought you needed to lie about going to a party. You are a grown woman and I trust you to make decisions based on the principles me and your father taught you. You are allowed to party, dear. I hope you have fun and I look forward to hearing all about this party when I come and get you. Just don't have too much fun... and use protection if you... you know... you do know, right? I realize your father and I never actually sat you down for that conversation..." my mother tells me. At this point, I could probably start a fire with how hot my face feels.

"Mother!!" I hiss at her, hoping she will get the message and stop talking about this subject! Of course, she does not...

"I just don't want you coming home pregnant, dear. You are far too young for that... but it is college after all and I know things are going to happen, especially at a party..." my mother says, acting like this is a normal, everyday conversation.

"Mother... please! I don't need protection because I'm not going to have s... I'm not going to do that so can we please stop talking about this." I beg her, banging my head lightly on the glass window repeatedly in frustration.

"Fine... fine. And stop hitting your head. You know I don't like when you hurt yourself, young lady!" She snaps at me, the playfulness gone from her tone.

"Yes, mommy." I say without much thought, immediately stopping out of pure instinct after hearing her tone.

"That's mommy's good girl." She says, making me realize I called her mommy instead of mom. Once I don't respond, she continues.

"Anyway, that's all I wanted to know. I'll let you go back to enjoying your party now. Have fun, baby. I love you!" She says.

"Love you too... and thanks..." I tell her, almost on autopilot as I'm lost in my thoughts that I actually called her mommy... again...

"See you when I pick you up, baby. Byee!" She says, hanging up before I have the chance to say bye in return.

With our phone call now over, I can't help but have a bad feeling for the consequences of my choices. This long bus ride now seems a bit too short...