Chapter 69

*Grace's P.O.V*

Elena finishes her dinner before me but she still sits at the table as I eat my baked potato, corn on the cob and steak. She even tries to sneak me some more food even though I am very full by the time I am done.

"Are you sure you don't want more corn?" Elena asks teasingly, making me groan as I turn my head away. She laughs as she lifts me out of my booster seat, holding me with a bit more difficulty. Mommy and Daddy's taller height made it slightly easier on them plus they had experience whereas Elena clearly did not.

I do my best to be still to make it easier on her. Elena pats my bottom as I stay up on her hip, opening the cabinet and getting my caramel candy out. I unwrap it eagerly, popping it into my mouth before Mommy and Daddy can object.

"No one is going to take your candy Grace," Mommy says as I glance at her. I raise an eyebrow, looking at Daddy who is still laying on the floor and has been ever since Elena had stolen me from him. "Daddy wouldn't take your candy because he would be on the couch and if he doesn't eat his dinner soon I'll give it to the neighbors dogs," Mommy says dryly, making Daddy get up.

"My mood is suddenly so much better," he says as he sits down next to Mommy, trying to kiss her. I wrinkle my nose up, Elena making a fake gagging noise as she takes me out the laundry room door and we go into the garage. She sits me on Daddy's woodcarving bench, taking the stool for herself.

"Why we here?" I ask curiously, struggling to talk a little bit since the caramel was coating my tongue.

"Because, Gracie, this is where we used to go to escape our gross parents," Elena answers and I pause before remembering what she is talking about.

We used to hide under Daddy's woodcarving bench and have talks. Later on Elena would use this place to smoke, doing it once she was of age but didn't want to tell Mommy or Daddy. They found out pretty quick and were more upset she chose an enclosed space and made her go out in the backyard or outside in general. Daddy specifically was mad that she made the smell his problem to deal with.

"Remember when I started to live here and they had that big family event?" I ask hesitantly, making Elena nod her head.

"The one where you were petrified and didn't know how to handle it? You had never had a real Christmas before, at least one that you could remember," Elena says as she smiles fondly at the memory.

"You still weren't comfortable taking things from anyone except me so you hid out here and made Mom and Dad have panic attacks at the thought that you had run away. It didn't help that it was freezing in here and you were like an icicle when I found you. Cause you weren't wearing your coat or any layers," Elena says, making me scrunch my nose up slightly.

"Cause I hate coats and they're stupid and no one should wear them ever," I state, making her smile.

"You didn't mind taking my coat to cuddle in when it was too cold to go outside for you," Elena points out after my complaint. I smile at the memory, remembering that I had been too underweight and couldn't stay outside as long as she and Zahira could. She still included me by letting me cuddle under her coat which was cold so it felt like I was outside without being surrounded by freezing cold now. I could accept that.

"Your coat doesn't suffocate me, your coat is actually nice," I huff, upset that she didn't realize that.

"Oh is it? I think you just like my coat because you get your way when I give in and let you have it," Elena says, making me furrow my eyebrows and shake my head. I didn't think that was the reason I liked her coats. I liked her coats because I didn't burn to death in them, like all the stupid thick ones that Mommy made me wear.

"I think coats were made by evil people who don't like me," I inform her, making her nod her head. She furrows her eyebrows before she scoffs.

"Coats were not made by people who don't like you," Elena says. "They were made by people like mom who want to keep their little babies safe," she teases as she tickles me, making me squeal and squirm under her touch.

"I am not a little baby," I protest, trying to get off the woodcarving bench. Elena rolls her eyes, watching me scoot to the edge. I look down before hesitantly trying to get off, whining when I actually do start to slide off the bench. Elena rolls her eyes again as my feet finally hit the ground.

"See, you're fine... little baby," Elena says. I huff as I cross my arms, storming out of the room and into the laundry. I enter the kitchen, a small frown on my lips.

"What's wrong?" Mommy asks, frowning too.

"Elena says I'm a little baby and I'm not," I protest to her, still frowning. Mommy coos, holding out her arms.

I go over to her, sitting down on her lap and burying my head into her chest. I sniffle slightly as I keep my head there, not moving as Mommy rocks me.

"You're a big girl Gracie. My big girl," Mommy assures me. I sniffle slightly as I turn my head slightly to look at Daddy for reassurance.

"Yes, you're a very big girl and certainly not a baby at all," Daddy reassures me, making me nod my head slightly.

"Tell mean Elena that," I plead with Mommy, making her nod her head.

"Of course. Now go pick a movie," Mommy says as she begins to bounce me until I attempt to get off her lap. I get up, going to the living room. Daddy follows me, scooping me up so that I am on his hip. He sits down in his recliner, sitting with me in his lap as he hands me the remote.

"What we watching tonight?" I ask him curiously, making him tilt his head.

"You pick sweetheart. Mommy already told you that," Daddy says as he smiles at me. I nod my head, taking my job of picking out the perfect movie very seriously. He rocks his recliner slightly, allowing me to cuddle into him as I sort through as many movies as seriously as I can.

"Lady and the Tramp," I decide after a moment, making Daddy groan.

"I despise that movie and yet we watch it everytime you pick a movie," Daddy grumbles. I pout slightly at him, upset that he doesn't like my movie choice. If he didn't like it, then he should have picked a movie himself.

"Don't be upset baby, your daddy's just mad because he looks like the Tramp," Mommy says as she swoops in, picking me up and sitting down with me in her lap. Elena finally comes into the room, going to sit on the arm of Daddy's chair.

"Don't do that," Daddy grumbles, making Elena groan as she slinks off of it and onto his lap.

"I knew my favorite child would want cuddles," he proclaims as he sticks his tongue out at me and hugs Elena, making her squeal as she tries to escape his hold.

"This is why sitting with Mommy is the better option," Mommy whispers in my ear, making me nod my head in agreement as she rocks me, letting me press play on my great movie selection.