Chapter 12

*Grace's P.O.V*

"Fine," I eventually mutter quietly, not speaking any louder because I know it annoys her. It is her fault though, she is the one who is practically grounding me. Actually it wasn't even practically, it was just straight up grounding me.

I am 22 years old and yet I am still getting grounded like I am some teenager with an attitude problem. It's a fact that anyone would be upset after receiving this punishment. Who wants to spend all day with their mother, every day!? The answer is no one! No one does!

"Don't get upset over a punishment that you rightly deserve. If something happened to you, your mother and I would have no clue where to even begin looking. We all thought you were still safely on campus with Ashley until you showed up here unannounced," dad says, scaring me half to death because I didn't hear him come in and didn't realize he was listening in to our conversation. Once I settle down from my fright, I just nod at him, knowing that he has a fair point about that. I still didn't like it or agree with being grounded but he had a point that I knew by now not to argue against if I didn't want to make my punishment worse.

"I am sure that I could have found a way to message you or something if something went wrong," I eventually mutter with a small pout on my lips because at the end of the day, I just couldn't help myself.

"Yes, I'm sure you would have found the time to message us when you were getting kidnapped and dragged into the back of a random van. You are so right that your mother and I have no reason at all to fear what could have happened in the middle of the night while we slept," dad states dryly and I roll my eyes. He didn't need to be so dramatic about it. At the end of the day, nothing did happen.

"I should have stayed at the college or something. At least there I don't have to be bossed around," I huff as I stomp my foot slightly, tired of being lectured over the same point again and again. Perhaps it was childish of me to continue throwing these tantrums but I truly felt that me stomping my foot was the very least I could do to show my displeasure. Like I get it already. I messed up so can we move on already! I'm finally home!

"Yes, I think we would all agree that you should still be at your dormitory but you didn't stay at your college, did you? You chose to come home and so you now have to follow the rules and punishments that are set for you, and listen to your parents when they are talking to you." mom interjects and I glance at her, frowning at her words.

"Cool, whatever," I say with a bit too much attitude as I roll my eyes. This earns me a warning look in return from my mom like she knows what I am thinking and I better watch myself or else. Deciding I've pushed my luck enough for one day, I decide it's time to be anywhere else.

"I'm going to lay down, I'm tired," I inform them as I head towards the stairs.

"Stop. You don't roll your eyes at me, little miss, and you wait for permission to leave, first. You don't have the right anymore to leave whenever you want" mom says to me and I stop, hearing the authority in her voice.

I turn to stick my tongue out at her for trying to boss me around before I think better of it. I've done enough childish things for one day, I think. Annoying her wasn't worth getting in further trouble anyways. Plus, I really was tired and all I wanted to do was take a shower and then go to be lazy in bed. I had been stuck on a bus for what felt like forever so I just wanted to stretch out and relax in a nice comfortable bed. It's been a very stressful day already and I just want a break from it all.

"Can I go take a shower?" I ask with a straight face.

"No, try again." Mom says. With I sigh, I try again.

"Can I go shower now, please?" I ask again. At least this time I remembered please.

"This will be your last try, Grace. I'm not playing around here." Mom warns me, arching her brows at me in warning. Closing my eyes, I try to calm myself with a deep breath before trying again.